The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Graphics too big

(14 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by rcostaverizonnet
  • Latest reply from rcostaverizonnet
  • Topic Viewed 2403 times

rcostaverizonnet

I just installed Windows 7 and the graphics are too big. Would this be a graphics driver problem?
Thanks.

Posted 4 years ago

Santo
Santo

Have you tried to increase the screen resolution?

Posted 4 years ago

rcostaverizonnet

Thanks, but I did. I have tried the Dell website, since they made the monitor, but they don't list a driver for Windows 7. It is running a generic driver now, so I am trying to run the XP driver to see if that works. Any other ideas, let me know. Thanks.

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

it might not be a monitor problem, what graphics card do you have? id advise updating your graphics card driver to the latest driver available from the vendor, i.e ATI, Nvidia or VIA

Posted 4 years ago

rcostaverizonnet

Thanks. I looked under the device driver and it said a standard VVGA adapter. I have two drivers I want to try but I can't figure out where I install them. I can't find Properties under Display in Control Panal.

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

can you post your PC specs here lease, make and model ect. will have a look for drivers.
usually a driver will be in .exe form depending on the vendor.

Posted 4 years ago

rcostaverizonnet

Thanks. It is a Dell Dimension 2400. The moniter is a Dell E153FPc. Under devices, my moniter is showing up as Generic PnP Moniter. Again, I can even find where to load the XP driver for this moniter.
Thanks.

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

if you do to device manager under computer properties, then go to display adapter, what does it tell you?
do you have any exclamation marks next to any of the devices in device manager?

when you say they are too big, do you mean the icons or everything looks enlarged?
there is the option in display to make everything smaller, have you tried that?

Posted 4 years ago

rcostaverizonnet

Thanks. I cannot display anything smaller as there is no option for that. I could display it bigger, but that option is greyed out. There is a note that says "You cannot change this setting because the height of your display is less than 600 pixels" but I think that refers to making things bigger, not smaller. When I try to adjust resolution, it shows me only one Display option (Generic Driver) with a 640x480 resolution. But the resolution is greyed out so I cannot change it.

Under Display Sdapter is says Standard VGA Graphics Adapter.

Thanks.

Posted 4 years ago

ian2
ian2

If you have not done so yet run windows update ,When I installed the upgrade method from vista to7 a month ago on my fathers laptop,
One of the first updates was the display driver.
Worth a try.Even if you have ran windows update ,try again,as my driver update came on the second round of updates..

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

yeah you definitely need a driver update for your integrated graphics chip.

i cant find any drivers for win7 and your graphics chip, however run this update advisor from intel, it might find the right driver update for your graphics.

www.intel.com/support/detect.h.....ight_home1

Posted 4 years ago

rcostaverizonnet

Thanks. I tried the link, but it had no update. I am still trying to figure something else. Thanks for the thought.

Posted 4 years ago

zifnab06

What you might be able to do...

Dell has an option on support.dell.com for a "service tag". That tag is located either on the front or back of the machine. It will be 5-7 charactrers.

ie - on my inspiron laptop, the tag is hxsc2g1.

Put that it. It will show all available drivers for your machine. Under graphics, there will be a driver for the Graphics Card. You want a bigger resolution, making images on the screen smaller. So, 1024x768 is bigger, but things show up as smaller.

Posted 4 years ago

rcostaverizonnet

thanks, I will try that.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!