How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Graphics Card Upgrade

(4 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by ukguy183
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 1322 times

ukguy183

Hi,

I have a sony vaio PCV-RS502 intel pentium hyper threading 3Ghz pc with 2gb of ram and 128mb radeon 9200 graphics card. I dont know which motherboard i got.

I want to upgrade my graphics card. Which fastest graphics card can i upgrade to? How can i find out?

i'm from england, UK.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

ukguy183, hello. I have an old Sony Vaio PCV RZ series system. It's old and has out-of-date hardware, but it still makes a great little print server, file server, and all-around break-me box. However, I doubt that either you or I would see much improvement on such a system by upgrading the graphics. Is there a specific application for which you need more graphics power?

To find out about your motherboard, try CPU-Z which will read the make and model information from the motherboard. It may or may not be helpful, but it is certainly worth a try.

Posted 6 years ago

SSSammy

I think that motherboard in that system uses an AGP slot, i THINK the fastest AGP is a radeon HD 3850, but thats terribly outdated. Like ScottW said any upgrade on such an old system would not see much improvement. If you're planning to upgrade to play new games then an AGP card wont be able to give you the power you need. You're better off buying a new system.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

So I ran CPU-Z on my Vaio and it lists the motherboard as an Asus P4S533VL. As SSSammy correctly surmised, this board has an AGP graphics bus not PCI-E. A Radeon HD3850 would probably make a noticeable improvement in what the system can go graphically. However, it would not make up for the old technology and slower data buses.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.