The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Graphics Card Question

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by LadyFitzgerald
  • Latest reply from Lunda
  • Topic Viewed 377 times

LadyFitzgerald

I will eventually be wanting to run three 23" monitors off of a graphics card. If I had to run it off PCIe x8 instead of PCIe x16, would it still be able to do the job? It wouldn't be used for gaming but I would run a movie on one monitor once in a while while web surfing and/or running MS Office on the other two.

Posted 1 year ago

Lunda

I am very new on this forum with limited knowledge. However, I hope may this post help you.
Nvidia GeForce GTX 690.
Nvidia GeForce GTX 680.
AMD Radeon HD 7970.
Nvidia GeForce GTX 670.
AMD Radeon HD 7950.
AMD Radeon HD 7870.

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

From what I've read there is only a marginal difference in actual perceived performance between x8 and x16 bus cards so unless you are doing high-end gaming you shouldn't have a problem - there's an oldish article giving more information HERE

To give you more choice in cards you can also get adapters that allow you to plug x16 cards into x8 slots, though they will only run at the lower speed, just Google 'x8 x16 adapters' to find them in your location.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

The slot I was referring would actually be a x16 slot that would be dropped to x8 speed if I occupied a second x16 slot so a physical adapter wouldn't be needed (I didn't even know they existed). Thanks for the link to the "oldish" article (funny how only two or three years is so old when dealing with computers); that told me what I needed to know.

Posted 1 year ago

Lunda

For graphoc cards I, always prefer AMD.
Edit: By Gmod self promotion not allowed. Last warning.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!