The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

gpu or onboard

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by labud
  • Latest reply from LadyFitzgerald
  • Topic Viewed 613 times

labud

Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe i7-3770k[with HD4000] HDMI and Display Port Hookup LG IPS235 monitor OCZ Vertex 4 running openSuse 12.2 kde 4.84

Is the chip incorporated graphics [HD4000] sufficient to give me the definition for photography work on my computer? I do no gaming or heavy photography alteration. I may hook this to my TV.
Or would I benefit from purchasing a video card or a gpu? If so, could someone recommend a graphics card that would be sufficient for my needs.

Thank You

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

I think it should work OK even with most games, maybe not at full graphics, but I find that, for instance, "Sauerbraten" runs great with an integrated Intel HD (this is the only game I play). Also, graphic cards with proprietary drivers such as nVidia or ATI usually have more problems when running under Linux operating systems, where Intel cards should work flawlessly.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

I think you will be OK. Since you are not gaming, there is no need to spend money.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

I'm bumping this to the top in hopes raphoenix will see this since he has actual experience with the same board. I'm also wondering if both the onboard graphics and a graphics card can be used simultaneously on this board (supposedly, you can with the PREMIUM board).

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@LF,

Yes the Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe MB supports on-board graphics and graphics cards simultaneously.

As for Linux, Intel furnishes technical information to Linux Community Developers so they can write their own Kernel driver code independently.

Intel Core i5, i7 Haswell Processors to be Released June 2, 2013
http://www.tomshardware.com/ne.....20590.html
Will require a new MB as is (LGA 1150 socket).

Really too late for beginning a LGA 1155 socket Build now unless one just has to.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Thanks for responding, Rick! I heard about the Haswell processors coming out soon but I don't if know ASUS will have a board for them that has the features of the P877Z-V DELUXE or PREMIUM, especially the Wi-Fi GO (that, if it works the way I think it will, will solve a lot of problems for me). It really doesn't matter all that much how long one waits since new technology keeps coming out, often without significant gains. Seems everything you buy is out of date almost as soon as you get it. The only thing I'm waiting on is to see if ASUS is going to restock the PREMIUM; *&^%$#@! NewEgg ran out (again) just before I was going to order and everyone else is also out. Fry's never stocked it before but they are now taking preorders for it online, suggesting it will be stocked soon, but, then again, Fry's is pretty flaky, especially when it comes to maintaining stock levels and inventory accuracy. The two local Fry's near me are really flaky. All one sees in them are empty shelves. If someone doesn't restock in a month or two, then the DELUXE will have to be Plan B (mutter, mutter, mumble, mumble).

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!