I recently bought a new DELL Inspiron laptop with Windows 8 pre-installed on it. I, however, want to dual-boot Windows 7 with the pre-installed copy of Windows 8. If I'm correct, it uses UEFI(I had to disable secure boot to boot into the Windows 7 DVD) and the hard disk is partitioned using GPT. However, during installation...when the time comes to select the partition, the error that pops up is this:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT Partition Style.

But if Windows 7 x64 supports booting from a GPT disk, why is this error even coming up?... since I'm already using a x64 Windows 7...so why is this happening?

Also, besides from that. I tried another way to get around this problem by installing Windows 7 on a new hard disk using a powershell script from within Windows 8. The installation was unattended, so it went fine - but when I tried to boot into Windows 7, it gets stuck at the Starting Windows screen. Why is this happening? And how could this be fixed?

Will I have to reformat the entire HDD again as MBR/GPT? How can I fix this without doing that?
Found a helpful link, but not quite sure what do with it: http://www.eightforums.com/tut.....s-7-a.html(look at bottom when dual-booting with preinstalled windows 8 and windows 7). Also, I don't want to delete all the partitions, I want to keep the preinstalled Windows 8 OS.

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted 1 year ago