The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Google Tablet? Enter the "Goopad".

(22 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by TheBeard
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1894 times

TheBeard

We could be seeing a Google tablet as early as this summer, maufactured by LG. and yes, we are calling it a Goopad. Spread the word.

show my dinky site some traffic love?

Edit by mod. No self promotion allowed, any time, see below. Link deleted.

Posted 3 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

Well.......

Posted 3 years ago

TheBeard

ah. well, the main point isnt the link. just the google tablet. also i cant edit it out

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

No. But we can :)
(Mike, hit the History button)

Posted 3 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

@LH, done already!

Mike

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

See above :)

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

What is the OP talking about anyhow. Is this another Android tablet?

Posted 3 years ago

TheBeard

yes, OP is talking an LG manufactured, Google tablet running android honeycomb 3.0. there are a few sites reporting it but not with much information about it.

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

Feel free to report it, but just not from your own Blog. Thanks :)

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

I guess he is talking about the LG G-Slate. This is a PP chart from a tablets class I gave last week at my computer club. If anybody is interested in the class materials (including narrated videos), you can download the .zip folder from here:
http://cid-475a0a48ca6d4035.of.....202011.zip

Posted 3 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

It's this thing, right here:
http://www.t3.com/news/google-.....ing?=54809

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

Interesting. I had not seen that one yet. Unfortunately it seems to be another 10" which really defeats the portability intent. I wish they would come with a good 7" - but maybe the RiM Playbook is a good option. Honeycomb is kind of shaky anyhow - at least for right now.

Posted 3 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

IMHO, 7" eliminates the usability factor...

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

What use is a tablet if you have to keep it at home because it does not fit into your jacket or into the wife's purse. Then a netbook is a cheaper option. The nicest I have seen up to now is the Nook Color - unfortunately it has no duo core (only a 0.8GHz single core) because it is easy to run Android on it - without rooting. Stop at B&N once and have a look at it. Very nice screen resolution.

Posted 3 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Uhh, WHS, many reasons to have one... think IPAD... and I have to admit I just bought one...

Still, with any netbook, laptop, or tablet, it is ALL about the apps AND how you want to use it.

How will I use it, don't know... but the plan is to load up DVD's before traveling, transfer digital pictures from camera, surf, and amuse myself with some apps.

Why an iPad and not a netbook? Well, mainly weight, battery life, and touchscreen.

Expensive, you betcha, but right now, short of taking a laptop, it (to me) is the best game in town.

Irv S.

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

Irv, talk to me again in 6 months when you got tired of lugging the thing around. And for a home appliance, there are cheaper and better options. And next year when Win8 supports ARM processors, short batterie life for netbooks will be history too. And then there will be this one: http://phandroid.com/2011/02/0.....-concepts/

Posted 3 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

WHS, I'll let you know WHEN I get it <VBG>... ordered on the 18th, promised on the 27 of next month. A few days ago if you order it the delay was 3 or 4 weeks, not the 4 or 5 when I ordered it. My 'promised' delivery date was changed to the 26 then... They did send me 3 other things I ordered with it already though, not that I can use the accessories...

The iPad is very light, probably 1/3 to 1/4 the weight of Netbook and Laptops.

It wasn't gotten as a home appliance though either, although I can use it on the patio if I wish or when eating breakfast (might make me finally drop the newspaper delivery?). It was for travel. Allows me to connect at our kids house and not hog a computer they have or even when traveling at hotspots. It wasn't bought based on need, unless you call wanting a new toy a need?

I really wanted to buy it at Best Buy with their 'obsolescence' guarantee, as I figure Apple will drop a clearly better iPad next year. They've pretty much been doing this, 1 year later release, with many products. Next iPad should have better graphics, better camera's, and probably more speed.

Oh well...

New technology for the batteries, OS alone can't make it that much better. Very few laptops are close to the 10 hour life of the battery in an iPad. Of course, one can buy more batteries and switch them out, can't on an iPad, sealed... but that is Apple.

Irv S.

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

It is not the OS that will make for longer battery life, it is the ARM processors that need hardly any juice. And that combined with an SSD would beat those toys any time.

Here is the BestBuy deal: http://www.vimeo.com/19631481 Target and some carriers have about the same. It costs $30 to join.

PS: played with an iPad the other day. The screen is dismal - at least for my weak eyes. The Samsung Galaxy is a lot better and even better is the Nook Color.

Posted 3 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

That is what said, new technology for the batteries, in this case the processor... old netbooks will not get better battery life.

Yes, I know about the BB deal... I thought for I think $60 I'd be able to get back 1/2 the price I paid by the time I get the unit and Jobs decides to release a new one.

I played with it too at BB before I ordered it on-line. No problem for me, but don't think for a minute and Netbook, or even most Laptops have anything better at the comparable price.

Again, I'm looking for specific applications on a rarely used basis. If I were 'truly' serious, I'd have bought a top end laptop and 'suffered' carrying it around with all the parts when I traveled.

Irv S.

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

Well, I will wait until next year hoping the market will have settled down. I don't really need any more toys, but it is the intellctual curiosity. But before that it will be a new desktop here in FL. My 2007 box is a bit slow for video editing, encoding and transcoding of which I do a lot - just waiting for Windows8.

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.