How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Good email program for Windows 7, 64 bit

(16 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by SarahJames
  • Latest reply from ronnycopeh
  • Topic Viewed 14435 times

SarahJames
SarahJames

Does anyone know of a good and proper emailprogram for Windows 7 64 bit?

I got my mom a new pc with 7 on it and things are working quite allright, so, although she had wanted to keep Vista, which she knows and trusts, she was satisfied to keep 7.

But one thing is just a plain disaster. We both have/had Vista 32 bit and I had planned to take Windows Mail from Vista to 7 but it won't work.
And I don't have anyone around with Vista 64 bit who can give me a copy (anyone around here would be willing to help me out with that? Don't know for certain if that will do the trick, but it would be the best solution of all!!!).

She has Office 2010, but she doesn't like Outlook one bit - way too messy.
Same goes (to a lesser extend) for Windows Live Mail and she hates the fact that it is all in the cloud.
She just wants her mail in her mailbox with as little clutter as possible.
Windows Mail offers just that.
Why MS decided to drop Outlook Express / Windows Mail is beyond me - in fact it is the main reason I'm sticking to Vista (well, that and the fact that half my programs won't run on 64 bit, no matter what they keep telling us about compatability mode.) <rant could go on for hours - you get the drift ... LOL>

Thunderbird doesn't really comply with the 64 bit, but apart from that it is a messy awfull program.
Couldn't find head nor tail on it.

To cut this long rant short - she just wants Windows Mail or a program that is very very similar to it.

Can anyone please help us out?

Would really be appreciated!

Sarah.

Posted 3 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Err, I'm running TB on 64 bit W7. What doesn't work?

I find the interface CLEAN and easy to use. However, I was a NETSCAPE user from way back, like when it first came out <VBG> so I'm used to the interface. Never cared for Outlook (any version) myself as I found it too messy. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

My wife was a BIG user of Outlook at work and it did take me some time to train her and get her used to TB, but now you'll have to break her arm off to have her go back to Outlook or even Mail.

Irv S.

Posted 3 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

I found TB to be a lot more cluttered than Windows Mail, when I gave it a try on my machine and when I wanted to give it a go for my mom (out of sheer desperation) Iran into a lot of articles stating about troubles with TB on 64 bit. Might be solved by now. But anyway, we don't like TB one bit.

Something that looks just as clean as this:

Seriously - it can't get any better than that. So we want something similar or the best: Windows Mail for 64 bit !!!!

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

I am always puzzled by all the problems people have with mail. I have been using AOL since day1 and never had any problems. I went thru 6 computers since then and migration problems are unknown to me. I can stlll access my mail from years back without any problem and they have never lost a single file.
Some peole kick AOL, but I really do not understand why. My wife does 100% of her internet work with AOL. But I prefer not to use their browser - although at times I use it for things that other browsers cannot do.

Posted 3 years ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

@Sarah. "anyone around here would be willing to help me out with that?"

What exactly do you need? Licence? Installation DVD? Or maybe both?

Posted 3 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Sarah

Messed about with TB for ya...how about this..it's pretty customisable?

Tony

Posted 3 years ago

nt0xik8ed
nt0xik8ed

i've been using GMX for a few years. pretty straight forward. its not associated to any browsers.

Posted 3 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

Gmail for browser based

Thunderbird for client based. I know you said it's cluttered, but you can customize the heck out of it. I've been using it for years along with Outlook. I have ot say i love Thuunderbird and Outlook just drives me nuts. I'm running Windows 7 Pro x64. If you wanna give TB a try then let us know what you don't like specifically and we can try to sort that stuff out. I know you're looking for an alternative, but i really think you'd like Thunderbird if you got it customized to your liking. I have it syncing my calendar and address book with gmail and my Android phone.

Maybe you might like one of these?
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/.....ndows.html

I have a 64bit version of Vista Ultimate. How would i get the windows mail off of it for you?

Will this help:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....-mail.html

Posted 3 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

@ PH / Indisent - just a copy of the folder Windows Mail that's under Program Files.
It's what I had been counting on when we decided to keep 7, just to copy my folder to the new machine, but 32 bit doesn't catch on :(
If you can help me out, send me an email please ;)))
Would be the best of all, since it will enable me to keep all her mail and easily import her accounts with no trouble at all!

@ Tony, that way it looks a lot better! Not used to the program, so don't know how to confige and got a bit fed up with it <LOL>.
Will use that if the above fails, but it will take a lot more work, so I'm hoping PH or Indisent's folder will do the trick ;)

@ whs - I never had a problem with mail. All very easy to transfer from Outlook Express to Windows Mail. Never lost any mail myself.
They just shouldn't have changed it to that damned WLM!

Posted 3 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Sarah

I'll write some instructions if you do want it...it's a bit like messing with Fire fox.

I tried WLM..for a day..yuk. I use Gmail's interface with Simple Gmai Checker in my Chrome Menu bar to notify me and take me straight into my account. I only use TB for saving Emails to the PC if I need to. I have 64 bit W7...no probs.

I forgot to unhide the status bar for my picture above...that should be there to mimic WM.

Tony

Posted 3 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Sarah

I've made TB look as simple as possible and I can send you the profile with which you can overwrite your copy with Mozbackup if you want it:

This image was done with a blank thunderbird (no account) with the alterations.

Tony

Posted 3 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

@Sarah -- don't see an option to email you when i click your name. Email me.

Posted 3 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Got the email :)

Thanks guys, it works and I'm over the moon!

Posted 3 years ago

Hoagie52
Hoagie52

I thought i would piggy back on this TB thread since you are all users. How can i download a local copy of each email in TB and keeping it in gmail as well. Anytime i move a email over to a local folder it removes it from gmail.

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

Hoagie52 hi. No piggybacking. Please start a New Topic.

Posted 3 years ago

ronnycopeh
ronnycopeh

I know this is late but can someone send me the email to use windows mail with windows 7 64bit, had it working with 32 but I 've tried everything

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.