The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Going Wireless with Windows 7?

(6 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by bingojubes
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 2692 times

bingojubes

so i took the helpful tips on dual booting with 2 hard drives, now i can load Windows 7. man thats a fast install!

anyways, the first thing Win7 wanted to do was connect to the internets to get a new antivirus software. that was fine, cause i was considering Winows Defender again to test it. but i cannot connect to my home network! Vista still sees it when i restart and go into Vista, so it must not be working for me because its still in beta. my vbrother didnt have trouble connecting with his beats copy, but he's on a cat 5 cable connection.

things i have tried/looked at were (through Windows 7):

1. remove NIC card and stuck it back in
2. Installed driver software for NIC card
3. tried to ping a website (just in case) from Command Prompt
4. reset router
4. tried to go through IE8 window to get to router, which doesn't work cause im not connected to the internet?
5. Havent tried reinstalling beta yet, not sure if it would require a new reg key or not, so i am hesitant on doing so
6. double checked Vista to make sure nothing was accidentally modified, so i can submit this post. also, while in vista, checked switch/router config settings from 192.268.1.1
7. creating a new post on How-to-Geek forums

yep, Windows 7 is still in BETA, so maybe wireless options may be gimped or not available at time of beta release, so i can totally understand that.

currently using wireless G band and Linksys NIC and switch, with a Comcast/Motorola router.

Posted 5 years ago

rocky6190

I had the same problem when i installed Win 7 on a dual boot. Here is how i fixed it.

Went into device manager, there was a yellow exclamation mark on my wireless card.
Double Click it and click "install driver"
When it asks where to search for the driver, i selected C: drive, which is where my vista installation is at the moment.
Windows 7 searched the C: drive for the wireless driver and everything worked fine after that.
It does take a few minutes to search for the driver, but be patient, it should find it.

Posted 5 years ago

bingojubes

hmm... since i am using 2 seperate drives, Win7 thinks it's drive is the the only drive atm, which is C: because i cannot see it in win7's explorer.

Posted 5 years ago

rocky6190

Strange, when you do a dual boot and boot into Vista or XP can you see the Win 7 drive?

Posted 5 years ago

bingojubes

yup. when i get the options to boot, i get the fancy choice of Win7 and Vista.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

No problem with a Linksys Wireless Card.

Just had to configure it in one of the items in Win7 Control Panel.

Forgot which link as there are a bunch.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.