SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Going to install Win7 over Vista, any 'gotchas' to watch for?

(11 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by ispalten
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 2259 times

ispalten

OK, Amazon is shipping my UPGRADE next Monday and I want to be prepared. This is Vista Home Prem. 64 bit.

I'm one a NETWORK with 3 other PC's, XP Pro, XP Home, and XP Media Center editions, all connected and sharing files and folders with each other.

Of course I'm planning on doing an 'in-place' install over my existing system to save what I've got installed. I'm using Norton Ghost 12 and have back-ups 'in case' of course.

This is a fairly NEW DELL XPS 435 T (as of May) and passes the Win7 test with all thinks 'OK'.

I just assume I can put in the CD and do an install and it will all work OK after that, but I'd like to know if anyone else has had problems doing so with the pre-releases or have an RTM copy and hit problems I might have to be aware of?

I did have some problems with some programs in Vista, most notably from Canon and its ZoomBrowser. I had to mess around with WMI and disable some checks and then that app started OK. I see Canon now says some of its camera's are NOT Vista capable? Anything else like this anyone is aware of?

Will ALL the customization I've done to Vista be carried over or will Win7 reset some?

Questions, Questions, Questions, I just 'worry' all will not go well and want to be prepared. I'd HATE to have to do a NEW install, but I'm considering it. Dual boot setup, move data and re-install apps, and delete Vista, sigh, I do NOT want to do this unless it is the only way to go...

Irv

Posted 5 years ago

mfletch

All that happened when I did a upgrade from Vista was I had to remove 2 programs before it would carry on installing then all went smooth,

After the install my kaspersky said its a new operating system and I had to enter the activation key again.

All desktop etc looks the same and all installed programs run OK

Posted 5 years ago

ispalten

MFletch,

What 2 programs? Did you run the Upgrade Adviser first? What did you do about the programs?

I did and it didn't find anything,that I use that is? Found Windows Mail and Parental Controls, and indicates it has replacements to d/l. Wondering if you did run the Adviser and it reported programs other than these 2 as bad?

Irv

Posted 5 years ago

mfletch

It checks for incomparability when you install it {should have run the Upgrade Adviser first but didn't

The two programs was Tune-up utilities and OmniPass fingerprint recognition

I think it will download Windows live mail for your email program {I already used it}

Posted 5 years ago

cobija

mfletch, what if you reinstalled it and just ran in xp mode (pro version and above?)

im getting it tomorrow and i use tuneup =( o well, i will just have to start using auslogics again =D

Posted 5 years ago

ispalten

It seems I was running a BETA version of the Adviser. Got the latest, I've got about 10 programs to worry about. Some I can take out and install after W7, others may not have a replacement. I've got to investigate this more.

Biggest one I see is Norton's Ghost 12. It says it will not work, and it appears Norton will be putting out 15 to work with W7, although, in their forums, some say it is working?

Irv

Posted 5 years ago

cobija

in case anyone wants to test out and use windows 7 FINAL advisor

Windows 7 Advisor

Posted 5 years ago

ispalten

I did run the latest, and it showed more data than the beta I had, anyway, these are the 'hits' I got and what I have to do :

---------------
ATI Catalyst Install Manager
version 3.0.728.0
ATI Technologies, Inc. Reinstall after upgrade Before upgrading to Windows 7, we recommend uninstalling this program. It can be safely reinstalled after the upgrade.

AusLogics Disk Defrag
version version 2.0
Auslogics Software Pty Ltd Update available We don't have compatibility information about this version of the program.
Get an update to a compatible version

Canon G.726 WMP-Decoder
version 1.1.0.4
Canon Inc. Known issues You may experience issues running this program on Windows 7. Before upgrading, we recommend uninstalling this program.
Visit the publisher's website for a possible solution

Catalyst Control Centre
version 2.0.0.0
ATI Technologies Inc. Reinstall after upgrade Before upgrading to Windows 7, we recommend uninstalling this program. It can be safely reinstalled after the upgrade.

Dell Remote Access
version 1.0.0.0
Dell Inc. Known issues You may experience issues running this program on Windows 7. Before upgrading, we recommend uninstalling this program.

Dell Video Chat
version 6.0 (6567)
SightSpeed Inc. Known issues You may experience issues running this program on Windows 7. Before upgrading, we recommend uninstalling this program.

Norton Ghost
version 12.0.5.29804
Symantec Corporation Known issues You may experience issues running this program on Windows 7. Before upgrading, we recommend uninstalling this program.
++++++++++++++++

The Dell programs are not a problem, I think they get re-installed when Dell wants to connect anyway. The ATI CCC ones are not a problem either really. Auslogic, I've got others that will work. Only one is Ghost I guess? Even then, it might just work. I've seen in the forums that people will use Win7 Backup until Ghost 15 releases.

Irv

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Hmm, I just ran the advisor on a Dell. It did not take issue with my Norton Ghost. Interesting observation though: For 32bit it specified a minimum of 1GB of RAM and for 64bit it specified a minimum of 2GB of RAM. The 64bit also needs 25% more Disk space (20GB versus 16GB).

Posted 5 years ago

cobija

that is a little weird as well for me, since im running on a dell computer, and probably the items you got caught for being not capable im running.

Posted 4 years ago

LH

It doesn't like Ghost at all, no matter which computer it is. Unless something has been patched in the last few days ?

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.