Gmail IMAP and Outlook 2007

(2 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by InDiSent
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 4159 times

InDiSent
InDiSent

Hey everyone,

I setup my Gmail accounts in Outlook 2007 to use IMAP. Everything worked the way it was supposed to. Here is my issue:
When i delete a message in my (GMAIL) inbox, spam folder, all mail folder...the message does not get deleted. It simply puts a line through the message. I would have to manually drag the messages over to the gmail trash folder to really delete it. Is there a way to set it up so that deleting a message would really delete it and not just put a line through it? It's very annoying having to drag or click then right click then move to trash. Just seems like to much work. Thanks guys.

P.S. I'm running Office 2007 on windows XP SP2.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

From a quick Google search it appears Outlook's IMAP support has some problems.
Apparently the way IMAP deleting works in Outlooks is you hit delete and instead of moving to the trash it puts a line though it and to delete those messages you then click a purge button somewhere.

It also appears that this problem maybe in part a problem with the IMAP protocal as from what I've read the delete command just flags the message for deleting and then you have to run a purge command to really delete them.
Though despite that other clients like Thunderbird do support a delete to trash folder.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!