The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

(Solved) - Gmail checker on Firefox and Win 8

(13 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Lestrange
  • Latest reply from Lestrange
  • Topic Viewed 679 times

Lestrange

I have been using Gmail Checker 2.6.1 with an audible notification for many years. It works only after a dialogue box appears and I enter my Gmail ID and password. The dialogue appears by itself (I have not found a way to launch it) and has a box to check to Save Log-in Cookies. It worked at first on my new computer, but after a couple of weeks I had to refresh the computer because of some nagging problems (thanks to HTG for the solution) and since then the dialogue box has not appeared and, consequently, I do not have audible notifications. Any ideas? Thanks.

Budd

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk

Have you tried uninstaling the add-on reinstalling it?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

Give this a try,
http://xnotifier.tobwithu.com/wp/

Posted 1 year ago

Lestrange

I've uninstalled and re-installed it several times, aFuhnk. No dice.

Lighthouse, when I tried to download from your link, Firefox stopped me. There is an Allow button. Is this safe?

Budd

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

Yep, it is safe.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark

@ Budd ,

I've been using that for xnotifier for a couple of years now, no problems :)

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

It used to be called webmail notifier, then they changed the name to xnotifier Have been using it for 7 years.

Posted 1 year ago

Lestrange

I've installed it, and it did not work either. I checked a Firefox list of suggestions and tried putting the web site of both Gmail Checker and xNotifier in the Exceptions to pop-up blockers, I've cleared the cache, tested the sound effect and tried another. Neither works. Otherwise I get audio on Firefox. Any more ideas? A missing or bad plug-in? No clues. Thanks.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark

Lestrange ,

You don't need to except the pop ups at for xnotifier, I don't :

Posted 1 year ago

Lestrange

GuiltySpark, Your screenshots are blocking most of your message and, I think, a message from someone else. Could you resend or remove the screen shots, please?
Thanks.

I still think the problem is described in my first post: the dialogue box has never appeared so I can't sign into Gmail Checker (I don't know if xNotifier requires the same). Any thoughts? Anyone? Thanks again.

Budd

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark

No blockage just snapped that pic on top of this thread so the posts you think are missing are actually the previous 4 - 7 posts.

In Xnotifier all you have to do is install it in the browser you use, find the X/letter looking symbol, right click and select Options.

In the Accounts tab select the appropriate email provider (in your case Gmail) type in full your email address blah blah@blah.blah, then your password.

Select Add, then select the General tab and make sure the Show Notification and Play a Sound boxes are checked, you can then go a step further and add your own chosen sound.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Lestrange

Thanks. I followed your instructions, GuiltySpark, then sent myself e-mails from my Gmail account and another and received an e-mail from someone else. The sound went off, but only once out of ten or so. I notice that when I go back and look at Options, the user name and password that I entered, saved, and Okayed are gone. Any idea?

Posted 1 year ago

Lestrange

Problem solved, GuiltySpark. When I clicked on the X icon and entered the information, it worked once, then when I went back to check, what I had entered was gone. When I clicked on the Firefox Options button and entered the necessary, it worked and the info stayed put. Thanks.

I'd still, if only for sentimental reasons, like to figure out why Gmail Checker doesn't love me any more.

Budd

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.