How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

Glasses and Geeks . .

(10 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by BobJam
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 1111 times

BobJam
BobJam

The story is about . . . my glasses. Now that might seem like it's not too entertaining, but since we all have a laugh at another's stupidity, maybe this will make you chuckle. And since geeks wear glasses (admittedly a stereotype, but the Geek's pic on this website is typical), I thought this would be particularly appropriate to the audience here.

For about the past several weeks, my nosepieces had been digging so far into the sides of my upper nose that they were becoming sore and almost ulcerated. It got so bad that I had to wear my glasses perched far down on my nose, like those half framed reading glasses, which was very uncomfortable and distorted the correction of the lenses (how do those people that wear those half framed things tolerate them low down on their nose??).

I've had these frames (and lenses) since 2001 and never had that sort of problem, so I assume my upper nose got fatter or something like that. Sometimes that sort of thing can be caused by a blow to the side of the frame, like when opening a kitchen cabinet door and not standing far back enough, but nothing like that has happened recently.

In any case, it got so bad that I finally went to the optician to get the things adjusted. The problem now is that since I let it go so long, the sores are so sensitive that any pressure whatsoever aggravates them. Consequently, what may have been a proper adjustment early on is now not as effective. Plus, the optician makes slight adjustments, and if that's not enough I have to go back to get them adjusted some more . . . which I have had to do. The optician will say "There, does that feel better now?" At first it does, but about an hour later the soreness is back again with a fury.

When I went to the optician the time before last, she had said that if I had a backup pair of frames, that I should wear them because they may put pressure on a different spot. I had gone for an eye exam in 2005, and had gotten a second set of frames then, but I couldn't remember if the result of that exam was a new prescription for corrective lenses or not. I tried on the backup frames, and for a time they were comfortable but then they too became painful.

Now here's the stupid part. I also noticed that my vision through the lenses in the backups was dramatically improved. So improved that I began to wonder if in fact that 2005 eye exam where I had gotten the "backup" frames, mounted with new lenses, resulted in a new corrective prescription. So when I went to the optician this last time (just a few days ago, and I'll have to go again in the next few days because these things are getting unbearable again), I asked her if she could check the strength of the "backup" pair, and compare them with the pair that I had been wearing since 2005, which was also the same pair that I had been wearing since 2001, in addition to adjusting the nose pieces. Lo and behold, my suspicions were correct. The "backup" pair was indeed an improved correction. So, it was a real duhhhhh moment for me. I had in fact been wearing a much less powerful correction since 2005 when the eye exam had resulted in another correction. Since 2005, the improved lenses had been collecting dust.

I can only assume that I wore the old frames when I left after getting the new ones in 2005, and never put the new ones on, and eventually forgot about it. What I had been wearing as my primary pair should in fact have been the backup.

So now I'm wearing the right ones but, as I said, they too are causing me soreness.

End of story about my recent stupidity.

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

Oh boy.
Can you read the display on the Shuffle? <:)

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

Only when I put my glasses down on my nose like reading glasses . . . on the shuffle, see my latest post at http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=29

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

MediaMonkey is all the rage,
http://www.mediamonkey.com/

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

I took a look at it, and it seems to be a synching tool, NOT a song downloading tool. I was wondering how they would be able to legally do songs without a deal like Apple got with the recording industry, but it looks like it's just a file management tool.

Posted 5 years ago

mandypinecone
mandypinecone

Once you get all your song downloaded from Itunes. there are many places you can download songs from. Amazon has a great section for it. Media Monkey has more options for syncing play list. If you have a play list bigger then what the shuffle will hold, which I do, you can set it so each time you sync it it wil change the older songs with something new from your play list.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

BobJam, I have a whole arsenal of glasses spread all over the house. I buy them at Walmart for $10. And since they are all different, I don't run into that problem. Maybe you want to get more gear.

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think iTUNES has an autofill function that "will change the older songs with something new from your play list".

Posted 5 years ago

mandypinecone
mandypinecone

it probably will, I'm not sure. I got rid of itunes months ago. with media monkey you can also let you convert your downloaded music, to mp3 so it's easier to play on other computer that don't have itunes installed.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I'm with whs on this one. I have 1 pair of prescription glasses (US$200) that are good for hoovering (I can see the floor easily). For everything else I use $15 specs from the supermarket.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!