How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Glary Utilities

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Wasroberto1
  • Latest reply from LadyFitzgerald
  • Topic Viewed 583 times

Wasroberto1
Wasroberto1

@ Lady Fitzgerald. Re your comments in another recent topic, I really like the start up manager in Glary Utilities and have now revamped my start up list - which I had already whittled down to only a few. I am though rather nervous about the other functions in the program and shall probably chicken out of these and restrict myself to Ccleaner and Revo uninstaller.
As you may recall, I am also (very much) a non geek and would welcome any comments.

Bob

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

I use the 1-Click Maintenance option once a week. I ticked all the items in it except Tracks Eraser. After the scan but before running the fix, I look at the shortcuts Fixer to see what shoertcuts are going to be deleted since it will delete empty folders. I keep a couple of empty folders on my desktop to use when downloading or saving large numbers of files so the files won't clutter up my desktop. To keep Glary from deleting the the folders, I just untick them, then I run the fix.

The reason I don't run Track Eraser under 1-Click is I find it handy for History to prefill in the name of a website that I don't keep a link for in my Favorites Bar. I don't visit them enough to warrant a link. I also don't want all of my cookies erased (I block most of them in IE but some are desireable). You may prefer to clear them out regularly.

Also under Tracks Eraser is a link called Options. Clicking it allows you to choose to select tracks you do want to erase or to see more options. One is the cookie manager. Both allow you to choose which you want to keep before deleting the rest (it used to be more difficult to use so I rarely bothered with it but I just discovered they have simplified it).

I'm still learning how to use it myself since I tend to be cautious about what I do with my computer for fear of bricking it (sadly, I'm also non-Geek). I do experiment from time to time, however.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Wasroberto1
Wasroberto1

Thanks LF for your response. I think I too may do a bit of experimenting when I feel energetic enough.
For cookies I use Cookienator which, I seem to remember was suggested by Sarah James. This knocks out tracking cookies but leaves useful ones, and once set up you need do Absolutely Nothing :)

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

I so rarely have problems with tracking cookies, I just don't worry about it. IE has settings to selectively allow or block specific cookies. I have it set to notify me when a website tries to put a cookie on my computer so I can decide if I want it there or not (some cookies are used for storing website logon information, etc. on your computer; the rest are advertising/tracking cookies). Super AntiSpyware snags the ones that might get through. The last few weeks, the only one it finds is from Media Monkey's user forum: I'm not especially worried about that one.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!