How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Gigabit Ethernet

(5 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by jd2066
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 1453 times

jd2066
jd2066

I tryed to set up a gigabit ethernet network a few weeks ago and isn't working quite right.
I replaced my 100MB router with one that does gigabit ethernet and all the machines with gigabit ethernet network cards say they are connected at 1GB but the transfer speeds for files are only about 10MB/s.
Anyone have a guess as to why that would be?

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Are you using cat 6 cable?

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Also, what type of machine/hard drive are you doing the copying from? That makes a big difference.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I'm not sure on the cable but I think it's cat 5.
The test I'm doing is copying an ISO file from a server downstairs with an SATA hard drive running Gentoo Linux to a computer in the normal middle floor with an SATA hard drive running Windows Vista/Gentoo Linux (Vista has a speed of about 2MB/s - 12MB/s and Gentoo about 12MB/s - 24MB/s).

Edit: I just looked at the cable and it says "Enhanced Cat 5 UDP 350Mhz CM 75C UDP 4PR 24AWP".
Edit 2: My server has two Xean 2.4Ghz processors and my main computer has a Quad Core 2.4Ghz processor.
My router is a D-Link DIR-655.
Edit 3: I suppose I could test the transfer between the server and the media center which are closer together. I'll just have to find a speed report tool for Linux.
I'll see about this tomorrow though as I'm going to bed now (A bit earlier then I've been getting to bed).

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

If it's cat 5e, that's ok. And make sure the cables are in perfect condition (no kinks etc)
Edit. cat 5, No, only goes up to around 155Mb (5e is OK}

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!