The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Ghost is giving me the creeps

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Noel8
  • Latest reply from Noel8
  • Topic Viewed 485 times

Noel8

My desktop with xp sp3 crashed and have to install my ghost backup file. Never did this before, but i read that i have to boot my rescue disk in order to do this. My version is 14.0. When i boot the recovery disc, i do not get to see what Ghost forum shows, also, i read that the recovery opens in a dos background, cause one cannot do this in windows. I see where the recovery disc is an iso file....do i have to do anything special to it...like extract it, though i do not believe its compressed.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

If it is a .iso fikle you need to burn it to disk as a image. Use ImageBurn to do it easily. then the disk will be bootable and do the job.

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

Xhi:

It's been a while since I used Norton Ghost. If I read OP correctly, he has a bootable Ghost recovery disk and he has Ghost backup file(s) made. Now that his desktop has crashed and he wishes to do a Norton Ghost recovery -- he shouldn't have to burn any image. Just insert the bootable disk -- make sure the PC boots to CD (and not the working hard drive) -- boot -- and follow Norton directions to restore.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

I see where the recovery disc is an iso file....do i have to do anything special to it...like extract it, though i do not believe its compressed.

I thought he said the recovery disk was an .iso file meaning it had been copied to the disk rather than imaged to the disk. But, now he has both options to try.

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

Yes, quite confusing. But I have used Ghost before -- both to make backup and to restore. And there's no need to burn backup files before use. Upon system crash, simply boot to the Norton bootable rescue disk and follow directions to restore... So unless we are missing something here...

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

It would seem if what you say is correct there would be no reason for the OP to know anything about an .iso file.

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

Correct. Booting with the bootable Ghost rescue disk should get him into the Norton Ghost 'environment' -- and then it's simply a matter of following directions -- to pick the desired backup set (if there are more than one). I can be wrong, but reading the above, I think the DOS-like Ghost environment "gave OP the creeps" for whatever reason, and so he posted, wanting to be sure -- before proceeding on.

But as I mentioned, it's been a while since I used Ghost. Maybe more recent users (specifically v14 users) can chime in.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

If I remember right, with a boxed Ghost version, the installation disc was also the recovery disc. When you booted that, you got 'install', 'recover' and some other options. It has been a few years since I last used my Ghost 14 and all I remember is that it was more difficult to operate than Macrium which I use now.

Posted 1 year ago

Noel8

OP here..."Mission Accomplished"....getting rid of my frustrations here. LOL Ultimately, I found a way...thanks to all.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!