The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

getting rid of unwanted data

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by deanmitc
  • Latest reply from Computerjazzladymo
  • Topic Viewed 1904 times

deanmitc

I have been plagued by unwanted data, files, toolbars, etc. in Firefox. These include items associated with "search.babylon.com", "search.snap.do", Quicklinx for Firefox, Babylon Toolbar, and more. I have eliminated toolbars via Revo Uninstaller and I have removed Add-Ons in Firefox. I have restarted with all add-ons disabled and I still see data when I search about:config in Firefox, and this led to the following questions: (1) when searching about:config in Firefox for any lines containing "babylon" I get a list of 72 lines that begin with "extensions.babylon." which suggests that an extension is causing the entries but all extensions are disabled. How do I get rid of these entries?; (2) when I look in "C:\Users\Dean\AppData\Roaming" I find folders for all of the unwanted entries (Babylon, Quicklinx, etc.) plus I find folders for other software that I have uninstalled in the past. Is it possible to simply delete the unwanted folders found here without doing serious damage to the computer?; (3) is there anything else that needs to be done to delete unwanted data?

Thank you.
Dean Mitchell

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

No Clean Install possible ????

Posted 1 year ago

deanmitc

I prefer to avoid that if easier/less cumbersome methods for getting rid of the data are possible or available.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I go with Rick on this one. And just be very careful of programs trying to install "extras" in the future.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Well you can delete all the folders for the UN-installed programs HOWEVER the Registry will remain a mess unless you use some "known good software" registry cleaner such as jv16 Power Tools.

Once a system is corrupted, the best solution is always a clean install or clean image restoration.

Posted 1 year ago

Computerjazzladymo
Computerjazzladymo

Have you used....or tried PIRIFORM CCleaner?? Great free program unless you would like to make a donation for the use of it. Also, did you do a disk cleanup?

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!