The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Getting rid of "Tagged"

(5 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by nedskelly
  • Latest reply from nedskelly
  • Topic Viewed 2958 times

nedskelly

I have recently upgraded Messenger to Windows Live Messenger and apparently "Tagged" comes with it. Can somebody tell me how to get rid of it. I want to keep WML

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

nedskelly, hello! We recently had a discussion about WL Messenger changes in the latest version 2009. A lot of the optional features can be disabled in the Options menu and I like to run my Messenger window very clean. However, I don't know what you are referring to with "Tagged". Tell me more. Here is a picture comparing v2008 and v2009 contact windows:

Posted 5 years ago

nedskelly

Thanks Scott. My brother who is tyhe computer expert originally tagge me and now we get 3 or 4 emails a day from persons unknown wanting to be my friend. My brother says it is an option in WML 2009
This is the home page http://www.tagged.com/home.html Ithink it may be linked to Yahoo as well
If I open this programme I find it has gone into my files and constructed a profile supposedly of me with a photo of my wife. It is a bit like facebook I guess but I did not subscribe to it and I do not want it. If I was to get rid of WML 2009 and then reload it with out the options will that clear it
Gary AKA Nedskelly

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Gary, tagged.com is NOT included in Windows Live Messenger. It is a completely different service. The only association that I can find is that Microsoft has partnered with Tagged and some other social networking sites to allow users to transfer their contact lists to WL Messenger. However, that is by no means a requirement and it was not WL Messenger that created your tagged.com account. You should go to Tagged and see what you can do to get that account removed because it only seems to be causing you more spam e-mail.

Meanwhile, the best thing to do with WL Messenger is to block users except those on your contacts list. In the menu, go to Tools -> Options -> Privacy and check the box by "Only people on my allow list can see my status and send me messages". You can still get IM requests from people to add you to their contact list, but you can deny any that are from people you don't know.

WL Messenger does not generate e-mails nor is it a mechanism that will cause you to receive e-mails. You could uninstall it and you would still get messages that are initiated by the Tagged account.

Posted 5 years ago

nedskelly

Thanks Scott, have been on Night shift, will see what I can do from the tagged site

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.