The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Get two IE9 webpages to open in splitscreen mode using command line switches

(3 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by questorflag
  • Latest reply from questorflag
  • Topic Viewed 512 times

questorflag

I have a situation where I need to be able to open to separate copies of IE9 and have each one automatically size itself to half screen. One left, one right.
Currently, I have made it as far as getting the script to open two copies on two different pages but they overlay each other. Then, I have to use the win+left arrow on one copy and win+right arrow on the other. This results in a perfect 50/50 split for the two open pages. This also involved my having to change the setting in IE that governs whether a new page is opened in a New Window or a New Tab, having to set that to "window".

My intent is to get this to happen without making permanent changes to the users’ browser settings and without having to explain to them how to use the win+arrow functions. I need to do it in a single script. While at it, it would probably be nice for each page to be in "kiosk mode" to eliminate the unnecessary toolbars.

This is to allow the user to operate with evenly divided information provided from two separate websites and when they log off, I (and I am sure THEY) would prefer that this “special arrangement” not stay in effect for their normal browsing.

If there is a command- line equivalent to the "win key + left arrow" or "win key + right arrow" that would go a long way toward the answer.
Also a command line to “restore to default” would help as IE9 is very good (?) about re-opening in the exact same format as it was closed in. It would be OK if the “reset commands” were a separate function as the users will be in the split-screen format for hours at a time.
This is where I got so far. Then I found I had to start changing default browser settings and I would prefer not to do this. Or if I have to, I need to be able to restore them. If there were a few switches I could add to each line that would force one page to the left and the other to the right, that would achieve the Win+left arrow etc.

Script:
@echo off
start /d "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer" IEXPLORE.EXE www.google.com
start /d "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer" IEXPLORE.EXE www.yahoo.com

So far, that is all I have. Thanks for any advice.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

If they are separate windows (not just separate tabs), just use AeroSnap to snap each window to one side or the other. 'Tis much simpler and faster.

Posted 1 year ago

questorflag

Aerosnap is probably what I am using, Win+arrow key in windows 7, But whatever it is, it works like a charm The problem is this requires intervention by a user. as well as the user having to put things back afterward. you would think that there would be a "size command" to put into the command line that opens IE to get it to go to what I would call "split screen" (i.e.: 50/50) if you wanted to. it also ought be able to handle multiple options like 3 instances, 30/30/30, 4 instances 25/25/25/25. as well as the proportional element that tells each window what relative size to display in so that you could have multiple active graphs or charts running on one screen but coming from multiple sites.
But so far no one seems to know of any. Nor a way to tell IE to "forget" those settings and go back to default when you exit.
This is a very special project that would be used only by a few people but for hours at a time. And when done they are not going to want to have to undo everything and IE9 never forgets. It seems it always opens the next window exactly as it did the previous one.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!