The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Get rid of Vista and Put in XP?

(6 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by leonardo
  • Latest reply from supermansghost
  • Topic Viewed 2281 times

leonardo

I have a quick question i was told by my friend that my computer (brand new w/ Vista) was made to basically work around vista. Something about a 64 MEG thingy (not sure if it was meg). As you can tell im not that great with computers and i was wondering if i were to remove my Vista and install XP would it affect my computers performance? since it was made to work around vista?

Please help me out, im so lost here.

Posted 7 years ago

supermansghost

I imagine what your friend really meant is that newer computers have hardware that is supported by Vista, but not by XP.

It's possible to install XP and even to get good performance, but it's not the easiest thing in the world because of the hardware problems... would be best to get somebody else to do the install for you.

Posted 7 years ago

mysticgeek

If your happy with what you use your computer for just stay with Vista. The "64 meg thingy" Your friend might have been referring to a 64 bit processor in your computer.

You probably will gain some performance by downgrading to DP, but the manufacturer sets up all the hardware to perform with Vista, so supermansghost is correct in that you may have driver issues...

Bottom line, if your computer came with Vista and works just stick with it.

Posted 7 years ago

leonardo

well, im not extremely happy with vista. It seems like everything i do on this comp, compared to my old one is much slower. Im assuming it has to be the vista since the computer is just fresh out of the box and the specs are much better than my old ones.

Please enlighten me, what kind of hardware issues would i have if i just went all XP with my 64 bit processor? and are the odds that i will have hardware troubles very likely?

Posted 7 years ago

mysticgeek

What kind of computer is it? How fast is your processor? How much RAM? What type of video card? Also, what version of Vista is installed?

Also, a new computer out of the box usually has a bunch of needless crapware you can get rid of. If you have the bare minimum to run Vista you might want to look at most of the tweaks to speed up performance.
http://www.howtogeek.com/tag/windows-vista/#tips

Posted 7 years ago

supermansghost

I agree with mysticgeek, you should try and clean off all the unnecessary bundled software on the computer.

I have no issues with Vista's speed, it works nice and fast on any new computer... but you definitely need to get rid of the crapware.

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.