The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Geek's guide to making a own computer. Power Problem

(10 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by computernerd
  • Latest reply from computernerd
  • Topic Viewed 1738 times

computernerd

I've a problem. I plan on making a computer using Geek's guide but I chose a different graphics card and I wonder if the Case's included power supply include any 6 pin pci express connectors for power? Thanks if you could help.

Posted 5 years ago

jraparrish

I may be mistaken, but if it does not, there are adapter cables that will convert the standard molex connectors used in the olderer PATA drives that should give you the necessary power. This of course assumes the power supply has enough juice to power everything you intend to install.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

It really depends on the case... look at the detailed specs. The case that I got doesn't have that power connector, I ended up having to use the adapter that came with the card.

I'd recommend getting a case without a power supply, and then buying a good power supply. I'm going to have to upgrade to a new power supply soon, because I'm out of ports already.

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

If you list the case, power supply and graphics card we may be able to provide you with a definitive answer. If you are using the case the geek used, then is should have one, if not two, 6 pin PCIe connectors.

EDIT: I guess not then, kind of surprised that someone would have a case on the market nowadays without a PCIe power supply.

ReEdit: And if I may suggest a very nice power supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6817371009

Posted 5 years ago

jraparrish

Geek, Aside from calculating all the installed devices power requirements, is there any defacto standard in use to determine the minimum amount of power that is needed given a specific hardware list?

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

If you're not a heavy gamer (only one graphics card) and/or also overclocks, 500 should take care of you. One thing to keep in mind is don't go cheap! A good quality power supply will save you many headaches down the road!

Posted 5 years ago

jraparrish

I have an ATI 2400HD, 4 HDD's and a DVD-RW drive. Asus P5GC-VM with an E2180 processor. I purchased an Antec SP400 to run it all. Does it sound like enough power or am I taxing it too much?

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

If it's running fine, then odds are you'll be good, it just may not last you as long. Power supplies tend to degrade over time so I tend to get more than I need, and typically they can last me three or so builds (assuming specs don't change over that time). My system is all pretty much high end and overclocked by 20% so a good stable power supply is needed, though I know it does not need all the wattage it puts out, but that thing will last me several builds and eventually most of that power will be needed!

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I agree with Budo... better to get a good power supply now. I've had a cheapo power supply fail on me in the last year, very frustrating.

Posted 5 years ago

computernerd

The adpater that is included with the 8800 GT is one six pin pci on one end and 2 molex on the other. How many molex are on the 450w power supply? And my setup is a XION II XON mid tower case with a 450w power supply and Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!