How-To Geek Forums / Site Suggestions

@Geek - text formatting

(9 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Aleeve
  • Latest reply from BobJam
  • Topic Viewed 1901 times

Aleeve

Would you mind enabling this?
I just quite often find that bold, italics and/or underlining could come in quite useful.

Does anyone else agree?

Posted 5 years ago

LH

I do, and I don't. In my head, the don't wins !

Posted 5 years ago

The Geek

Adding text formatting is on my radar - the problem is that I don't want to see the forum end up being gaudy and awful like many other forums. We like our simplicity here.

On the other side of things, though, people have expressed interest in creating text-based tutorials, and formatting would be really useful for that.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

I agree, you don't want to overdo it. But at least one function (bolding or italics) would be useful. Then one would not always have to put things in quotes if one wants to highlight something. For text based tutorials an alternative would be to take snips of Word or PP pages and post those as 15" screen size pictures. That also allows to embed other pictures very easily. Here is an example I just made up from one of my file items. There are 3 more pages - so it would be a total of 4 pages:

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt

wow, only 7 degrees

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Oz, that was in Celsius (about 45F) and whilst I was sitting in warm Florida. I always keep the weather forcast for back home in the sidebar so that I can appreciate the warm Florida weather.

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam

Hey Geek,

While I do share your feelings about this forum turning into a "gaudy" place, I don't think many, if any, of the regulars here would abuse text formatting.

And I definitely agree with Aleeve . . . it would make organizing and getting a point across a lot more clear.

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny

Underlining could be confused as a link. Bold is no different than caps. Italics serve no purpose that I am aware of. Maybe it's just me, but everyone's writing style is unique and familiar. I don't think newer members would recognize those styles and the added formatting might be distracting. My two cents.

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam

Hey techgranny,

Your points are well taken . . . I can see advantages and disadvantages to both sides of the argument. Still would prefer the option though. If not the attributes on the characters, I would at least like to see the capabilty to indent whole paragraphs.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.