The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

gateway t series LAPTOP W350A wont install vista

(38 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by pumpkinman
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 14786 times

pumpkinman

GATEWAY T-SERIES 1625 MODEL W350A. Its a friends pc.i have checked and hard drive is recognised.i put in the disc OS, it starts and loads all files.come to select english.then install now screen.then theagreement screenthen the .which type of installation do you want.only option is custom so i proceed.Next screen where do you want to install windowsgives two options Disk0 partition 1 146.9GB primary=disk 0 partition 2 2.2 GB logical at the bottom it states Windows cannot install to this hard disc spce/Windows must be installed to a partition formatted for NTFS SO I HIT LOAD DRIVER AND I get to install the device driver needed to access the hard drive, in sert the installation media containing the drivers files and click ok.thats where i end.he only got 1 cd with this laptop and i fihured it had all drivers on it.i cant seem to find the hard drive driver or dont know what to look for.maybe it is on the disk but i dont know what to look for.when i go to gateway they dont have any info on it.any help appreciated thank you

Posted 5 years ago

madjack1987
madjack1987

HI pumpkinman,

In the installation process, if the disk is not formatted to NTFS (have you had Ubuntu on there or something?) you need to delete the the partition to create "free space". You can then format this to a NTFS partition and you should then be able to install Vista.

Does this help?

Jack

Posted 5 years ago

pumpkinman

madjack1987.yes you were rite.he had ubuntu on the pc i deleted it.windows then started to install and i got this error...Windows could not assign a drive letter to a partition on disk 0. The specified partition does not exist on the target disk. The error occured while prepairing the partition selected for installation ..Error code 0x80300002..any ideas there..thanks so much

Posted 5 years ago

madjack1987
madjack1987

After you deleted the Partition with ubuntu you should have been left with free space on the HDD.

it should look something like this

click on the advanced options and you should see something like this

Now you need to create a new partition then i think you click on format and it sould make a nice shiney new NTFS partition for you to install Vista to :)

Hope this helps

Please post back to let me know how you got on

Posted 5 years ago

pumpkinman

madjack1987.. whats going on here i dont know.lol i did as you said,then the partition was there formatted it still there.now when it comes to where do you want to install windows the partiton isnt there now? i hit rescan and says no device drivers can be found. also upon start up it says boot manager not found press alt ctrl del to boot from disc...also i have noticesd in the bios i cannot scroll up or down.only the first 2 ,time and date i think.but cannot scroll to any other on page.the partiton was there last night.but i got over tired and waited till today.now the partition has disapeared.? so it gives me No device drivers were found.Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers,then click ok.. well i get into the files and it seems everyone is empty .ive tried so many different files but all seem not present or gone. my hard drive shows in bios. but cant scroll to it and look...could the drive be bad even though its recognised i cant get into safe mode either.it starts but then stays black and starts to load disk again. i work on alot of laptops but never have worked on a gateway they seem much different from acer or dell and thats what i work on.i had an acer do the same thing but hard drive was bad and did not show in bios..got a new one and everything went fine..but the gateway is recognising the drive..and when i go to gateway and look for model # W350A THERE IS NONE THERE. its a t series HDMI.. closet i could find threw searching was t 1625. because under that model everyone has posted to other places thats what they gave T 1625..I GUESS IT DOESNT MEAN ITS CORRECT. But now im really stuck..hard drive still reads in bios.. but still no partition..

Posted 5 years ago

madjack1987
madjack1987

Ok, at the fact you said the boot manager was missing and that you got too tired and left it - it looks to me that Vista never installed properly. If you boot from the Vista CD again and get to the partiton manager bit (the first screenshot in the earlier post) can you tell me what it says?

Is the disk recognised?
Does it read as "unallocated space"?
or does it read as "Disk 0 Partition 1" ***this is what you want***
Total size?
Free size?

Are you sure the disk got formatted? Ubuntu formats the drive to an EXT3 type of Parition whereas windows uses NTFS

try and go through the whole process again. Formatting the disk and istallation should take ages so don't worry if you think it's taking too long. Have a play around with the advanced drive options, try deleting all the partitions on the disk if there is any, then format everything and then create a new partition and then proceed to install.

Posted 5 years ago

pumpkinman

ok here my first screen upon turn on press any key to boot from cd dvd/BOOTMNG IS MISSING.PRESS CTRL ,ALT. DEL TO RESTART /SO I DO SO.then i get windows boot manager choose an operating system to start. windows set up [ems enabled] and tools windows memory test i click set up..Windows loading files. microsoft bar appears, then install windows screen choose language.did it.now install now appears i hit install now.sets for awhile.long while 10 minutes. still waiting.lol ok licence agreement i accept.next.custom [advanced] install a clean copy of windows select where you want to install windows,or make changes to disc or partitionsthis option does not save your files settings and programs i select it. now where do you want to install windows..there is NO partitions there its blank i go to advanced and no options can be selected... at the bottom it says no drives were found . click load drivers to provide a mass storage driver for installation i hit load drivers and i get to install the device drivers to access your hard drive.insert the installation media containing the driver files then click ok Note The installation drivers can be a floppy,cd,,dvd,or usb flash drive thats as far as i get.i cant find the drivers. i hit rescan and still nothing no partition is present..im sure it was formatted.i hit format said partiton was formatted it showed the partition.. and i was beat i couldnt get anywheres and was frustrated so i cancelled install.and partiton was there when i first turned pc on but it did the same no drivers and then it was gone. i am doing a start up repair now.was told that will fix boot manager.so im told we will see. nope i get startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically send information about this problem [RECOMMENDED] WHEN I LOOK AT THE PROBLEM SIGNATURE PROBLEM 06 NO HARD DRIVE.. PROBLEM SIGNATURE 10 1168,, OS VERSION 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1 LOCAL ID 1033.. SO NOW I GO INTO BIOS and hard drive is present STATES THIS - ST9160821AS-[S1]... ALSO as i stated before i cant scroll to only system date and time will not scroll down any further..i dont like gateways..lol thanks i very much appreciate your time..thanks

Posted 5 years ago

daRican

i too am having the EXACT problem! i mean EVERY detail is identical except i am installing on gateway m-1624. their website shows nothing, not even the FAQs. how can this be corrected? i don't want to tell my friend they need to scrap this crap (although i would like to; gateway BLOWS!). please help!

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

daRican,
---
Have to use Diskpart.
---
At windows installation screen "Where do you want to install windows ?"
Tap <SHIFT> <F10> for Command Prompt RE
Type:
diskpart <enter>
select disk 0 <enter>
clean all <enter>
select disk 0 <enter>
create partition primary <enter>
exit <enter>
exit <enter>
Close install window and Reboot to start over
---
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415
http://technet.microsoft.com/e.....y/cc766465(WS.10).aspx
http://ss64.com/nt/diskpart.html
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

daRican

i did everything per your instructions. now it sez, "This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer BIOS menu." problem w/this is i cannot access anything in the BIOS except for boot order, time & date. i've tried loading the drivers (i have the OEM gateway vista installer disk) but can't seem to locate the driver. i now have 3 partitions: 1)11gb, 2)221.8gb, 3)1mb. i'm gonna try using the GParted disk to enlarge 3rd partition & see if i can install there. another thing: it seems to have 3 drives - C:/,D:/,X:/ (X states it is the BOOT)

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

X is the temporary partition whilst the OS is installing. Try again and again to install.

Posted 4 years ago

daRican

there is also an error msg that i 4got 2 mention upon reboot: System Configuration Data Read Error. hope it helps 'cause it does squat 4 me.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

You need to Wipe and Reset the Hard Drive.
You MUST have a Full copy of Windows to install afterward.
---
Hang tight and don't post until I complete my post.

METHOD 1
http://blog.atola.com/restorin.....-capacity/
http://hddguru.com/
http://hddguru.com/content/en/.....tore-Tool/
MUST be followed by Reboot. Read Documentation.
-----
METHOD 2
http://reviews.cnet.com/9602-1.....ID=2509303
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/di.....l/archive/
Follow instructions.
-----
METHOD 3
http://www.dban.org/
I have never used program but is recommended by others on HTG.
----
All instuctions in programs must be followed to a "T".
---
This is why I advise folks not to Partition or Dual Boot one hard drive laptops....
------------------------
There are more ways..............
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

daRican

will any of these methods wipe the BIOS clean?

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Nothing can write to the Bios except a Bios Flash program.
---
Method 1 resets the Hard Drive so the Bios can interpet it properly.
---
This Topic Yesterday.
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=8
SEE FINAL SOLUTION POSTINGS AT END
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

daRican

well i used DBAN & it worked like it should. however, i still have the same problem & i'm getting a new msg now:
"for Realtek RTL8101E 10/100 PCI-Express Ethernet Adapter v1.03 (070618)
PXE-E61:Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F:Exiting PXE ROM
Operating System not found"
i am positive that this laptop was dropped @ some point & something inside was broken or loosened. when i shake the unit, i don't hear anything loose. there was a loose screw on the HDD which i have since tightened. since i cannot get 2 the MB i cannot see what(if anything) is broken or loose. thank u 4 all ur help!

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Need to Setup Bios.
The Boot from network feature is turned on.
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

daRican

i fixed it! i took a sledgehammer 2 it & now everything is A-OK!

Posted 4 years ago

daRican

just kidding! should i just purchase a new HDD 4 it?

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

(LOL) (LOL)
---
I hope you did fix it PROPERLY ????

The PXE is NOT a HD problem.
Just need to configure Bios.
---
Post Back.
---
Windows is FUN. :) :)
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.