How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Gateway Recovery Nightmare!

(2 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by clickboom
  • Latest reply from bamsan
  • Topic Viewed 1796 times

Anonymous

Hi all,

I decided to do a complete system restore from my recovery discs (3 discs in total). The problem comes when the Gateway recovery environment asks me for CD #3. Halfway through CD3 it gets stuck (meaning the CD is stopped being read, maybe due to a read error). I have been through the process several times and the problem is the same.
Once it is stuck (the disc is stopped being read and an error is given to me that <"something"> cannot be recovered), I get two options: "RETRY" or "ABORT". Hitting "RETRY" doesn't help.. so I hit "ABORT". Once "Abort" is hit the PC restarts and brings me back to the "Gateway Recovery Environment" (note: I cannot boot into windows at all) and the whole hellish process starts all over again... by asking me for Disc 1 and then Disc 2 and then finally getting stuck on Disc 3 and giving me the "RETRY" or "ABORT" options.

So as you can see, I am stuck in an infinite loop in this nightmare. Seems like my PC is going out the window. I asked the Gateway Tech guys and they say that I have to buy a new copy of Windows XP.

So according to your collective expertise, what are my options? Can I somehow get a set of Gateway recovery CDs? I have tried cleaning CD3 and it doesn't help.

Please help me out here. Thanks you in advance!!

-A.H.

Posted 7 years ago

bamsan

If your disc is not scratched severely, chances is good you can duplicate the disc. Try to duplicate the disc with different brand of cd writer. I often find some disc that is not readable by one brand of cdrom but totally ok with another brand

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.