The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Gaming DDR2 Motherboard

(11 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by FlyingAxe
  • Latest reply from FlyingAxe
  • Topic Viewed 4804 times

FlyingAxe

Can anybody recommend a good gaming DDR2 motherboard (from Intel, made by Intel or Axus... or anybody else if you know they are good, but I heard these two recommended), compatible with Quad-Core and Core 2-Duo and high-end DR2 RAM (4GB)? For gaming purposes... (Yes, I am still thinking about the build in a different topic, just trying to compare my options...)

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

FlyingAxe, a good way to search for motherboards is to go to newegg.com, select motherboards, then narrow down the results by CPU type, Northbridge, manufacturer or what have you. That brings the results down to a manageable size from which you can look over the resulting mobos and find one with the feature set that you like. Here are the results of a query for Core2 Quad/Extreme mobos with DDR2 memory and nForce 780i chipset:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....e+780i+SLI

Posted 5 years ago

FlyingAxe

Thanks, but there are a lot of different ones.

So far I am inclined towards ASUS Maximus II Formula LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX. Any thoughts?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

I like Asus, too, and have heard good things about the original Maximus. For the search results that I provided, I chose a nForce chipset because that's what you had on the other board. If you are a staunch nVidia advocate and need, or may someday want, SLI then the Maximus II won't do it. It's designed for ATI CrossFireX.

The mention of the P45 chipset reminded me of this article from Tom's Hardware saying that the P45 provides little or no benefit over the P35. You can, of course, judge for yourself:
http://www.tomshardware.com/re.....,1961.html

Posted 5 years ago

FlyingAxe

Thanks for information. Will nVidia GTX 2xx video card still run on the above-mentioned Asus Maximus II P45 (or P43) motherboard?

Posted 5 years ago

FlyingAxe

Also, which motherboard is more advanced, X48 or P35/45?

Posted 5 years ago

FlyingAxe

Upd: never mind, got it.

Posted 5 years ago

FlyingAxe

Asus Maximus II Formula vs. Asus P5Q Deluxe?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

It looks like the Maximus II Formula is designed to be the ultimate tweaking gamer's motherboard. There are so many features on there! Some of them sound good, others sound confusing. CPU LevelUp? Speeding HDD? Odd names and bold claims.

The focus of the Asus P5Q Deluxe seems to be on energy savings. Reduce power, save the planet, reverse global warming. No mention of performance or tweaking.

If these are the two choices, the Maximus II Formula looks like a winner to me. Even if some of those oddly named features turn out to be useless, this thing is designed for performance and overclocking. It can save energy when powered off or in sleep mode.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Maybe DD3 @ 2000 ??
http://usa.asus.com/products.a.....0&l4=0

NO, I'll Vote With ScottW,

Intel All The Way !!

Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♥ ♥

Posted 5 years ago

FlyingAxe

Yeah, I don't care about energy saving (or planet-saving... actually, forbidden by my religion :) ) -- I care about performance. I just read about some issues with Maximus II stability while overclocking.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!