The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Game Disc Backup

(10 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by TheBeard
  • Latest reply from Kelen
  • Topic Viewed 3047 times

TheBeard

I'll be damned if Microsoft isn't going to let me backup my Xbox360 games. I won't be buying a second overpriced game because the original got shredded. I'm looking for a good method of duplicating an Xbox360 disc for use. I read something about Bespoke software(?). has anyone heard of this or used anything else?

Posted 3 years ago

Kelen
Kelen

Not that I own one to test this out on, but have you tried ripping the game in .MDX format then burning? Most articles say you may need a mod chip for the xbox drive to read copied games.

Posted 3 years ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

All of the above will get your system banned from Xbox live (the only real reason to buy a 360 IMO) so tread carefully.

Posted 3 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

What happened to the original one? (the first one)

Posted 3 years ago

Kelen
Kelen

Reported eww, Fair Trade Act FTW Using MDX format does not break encryption or bypass it in anyway, it is all intact on the copied image. Though I mentioned a modchip, an obvious subversion of copyright protection platforms, I never promoted the use. Just that most poeple say one is required, a no no anywhere you go. If the backup made doesnt play, then Beard just has to stop there after wasting a dics.

Shame how FTA and DMCA oppose one another. Industry says you can make a backup, then decides opps to many copies being pirated so lets make it illegal to make copies by adding encryptions that would be illegal to break. *sigh*

btw what are the european couterparts to these laws?

edit - I'd still backup anything I wanted simply because it would never leave my possesion to begin with so no one would know what I have and complain about it :p

Posted 3 years ago

TheBeard

thanks for the heads up. im not pirating or selling copies or anything. i just dont want to be out an expensive game because [someone] left it out to get scratched. if i burned using that format, then tried using the backup copy, i could possibly get banned from live?(which really is the reason for getting xbox). that would be ridiculous.

@hatyrst, nothing happened to a disc yet, but what if it does?

Posted 3 years ago

Kelen
Kelen

@TheBeard, I dont think that you would get banned. If anything the disc just would not work in the console. However I do know that every now and then console makers including microsoft will do a hardware check on your system once they figure out a way to detect illegal modifications. I have many PC games that simply do not copy or play as .ISO images/burns due to the encryption and security mesures they use. Though using .MDX will keep everything intact and usable. I myself preffer to get a disc, image that disc and then never take it out of the case again unless needed. I run everything I can from images.

Just remember that as long as you do not break the encryption or subvert its mechanics you are not in any violation of the law. (At least in the States)

FTA says you can make one backup.
DMCA says you are not aloowed to break/circumvent encryption measures used on copyrighted materials.

DMCA will always win against FTA if the work was encrypted and unscrambled. So do yourself a favor and keep that encryption intact.

Posted 3 years ago

TheBeard

alright, well thanks for the help. im not going to mod my machine at all, i dont want to risk breaking it or getting banned. ill see if this works. ill post up whether or not

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

Kelen. The European counterparts to these laws are the same as US.

Posted 3 years ago

Kelen
Kelen

Nice

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!