The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

full hard drive

(4 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by beatevilnius
  • Latest reply from beatevilnius
  • Topic Viewed 2438 times

beatevilnius

My computer is partitioned into C, D, E, f drives one of which runs Linux, and the C drive runs windows. I made it 10 Gb at the time, but out came only about 4.6 GB and now it keeps filling up. Most of my programmes are already installed in the D drive.

Windows seems to use up most space 2.17 GB, with documents and settings using 1.01 GB and the others around 400 Mb. I'm struggling downloading anything and it tells me I have around 40 MB free. What uses the rest of the space? It seems to have well over 100 uninstall files....The recycle bin is empty, as are the temp files.

I could of course repartition the computer.....but that's a huge amount of work; what about uninstalling windows xp and installing it on one of the free-er drives? Would that be complicated? I'd have to change the boot letter, of course.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Posted 6 years ago

thedudester

Most likely the free space is being eaten by your pagefile, c:\pagefile.sys. If you go into the advanced system settings you should be able to change the pagefile to the D: drive, reboot and then you can delete the file if it's still there.

You can also turn off system restore if it's enabled.

Posted 6 years ago

beatevilnius

wow, it worked - brilliant. did not find a pagefile.sys file as such but found another way of fiddling with it.

Thanks!

Posted 6 years ago

beatevilnius

ok, so it worked....

then I downloaded a file from the internet (120 MB) but all downloads go to the E drive, should not affect the C drive. I moved it also onto my USB thingy, and already the space was down vastly. (perhaps everything passes through C and something sticks???)

Also loaded loads of CDs onto my Ipod. Now again the hard disk is full - but I don't know where all that stuff is and what the stuff is. The paging file is on D all right.

To make space I removed quicktime since I never use it, then found that Itunes does not work without it (arrghh) and in the process of it all the Ipod has frozen, but presumably it'll get over it once the battery has run out...

Now I'm again down to 63 MB.... Where does it all go and what is it?

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!