The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

From w7 to Xp wont work

(10 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by xiset
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 1570 times

xiset

Im no pr0 at computers im just starting to understand and learn computers, But i tought it would be cool to test out windows 7and now that i want too go back to the old good os XP pro the CD won't boot or anything and i had som problems from before, with the w7 so i re-formated it and now i't wont find my other drives. My question is how do i get the CD too boot so i can delete the w7 and get back to XP ?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

xiset,
Download, burn a CD or make a floppy of this FREE Program.
Use as per tutorial.
Clean Install XP Using Original CD or Slipstream Copy Containing MB Chipset Driver.
Ensure you have all XP Device Drivers BEFORE beginning Clean Install Procedure.
http://www.dban.org/download
http://www.security.ku.edu/dow.....torial.pdf
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

MasterGEEK

My problem is different but almost at the same topic:

I'm trying to install windows XP Pro, before i had Windows 7. I booted from CD-ROM but somehow in the middle of the installation on 33 mins left when the devices are finish installed,I get please type your 25-character volume license product key which i have been told by many friends and internet users that it's not needed and i should not need to activate it since i'm installing from CD-ROM.

Could anyone please help me or tell me what i'm doing wrong?

-Wadhys

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

MasterGEEK, welcome to HTG forums. Since your problem is different, please start a New Topic and copy your question there. Thanks.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Master,
EDIT: Cross typed with ScottW.
Sorry about that.
----
Someone gave you the wrong information.
A Clean Install of XP, other than with a Volume License Copy, always requires that you put in the Product Key.
This is NOT Product Activation.
---
Only after the installation is finished, all the machine device drivers installed, the machine is configured properly, all Updates are installed and the system is running well should you Activate (PA) the system with MS.
---
You will have time to do this and be given reminders so take your time and perform an Absolute Perfect Install.
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

xiset

Raphoenix im sorry i tryed to do as you told me but i dident get it working do you think it could be the windows cd or something ? i don't have an origenal windows cd im waiting for w7 to come out with the final package and a daemon tools that works here you. got anyother tips or anything that could help me ? :s

Regards,
D.C.F

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

xiset,
---
Sorry my friend.
---
If don't have a Genuine MS O/S Installation CD/DVD or a copy there of with the appropriate accompanying Genuine MS Product Key, you are out of luck.
---
Neither I nor the Forum condone "cracking" or "pirating" of software.
---
It is my understanding that the Free Win7 RC will be available for testing beginning May 5, 2009.
---
Ubuntu Linux is always FREE.
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

Lonestarwolf
Lonestarwolf

xiset
The solution too this problem is to remove the partition then creat a new one then format drive then install the os of you choice I had the same problem before.

Posted 4 years ago

xiset

Can i use partion magic for that ? or dosent it work in w7 ?, becouse my friend told me to use hirens boot cd and it dident boot at all "/ and some cd's just gets BooTMGR failed! etc

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

xiset, Partition Magic will not work on Windows 7 or Vista partitions, nor should you attempt it. It's no longer updated and hasn't been since before Vista came out. I also recommend against Hiren's boot CD which is basically a warez disc.

You could use GPartEd as described in this article by The Geek, or use the diskpart.exe command line from a Windows PE or RE disc.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!