The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - freezing computer

(23 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by nadeem001
  • Latest reply from nadeem001
  • Topic Viewed 875 times

nadeem001

hi guys this is my first post on this site and was wondering if anyone could please help me.

i have an acer aspire 1 netbook which is currently a dual boot system (windows 7 and android)

i am currently experiencing problems with the windows system it runs for few minutes and then stops responding, the mouse can move and i can click but nothing opens, if i press ctrl+alt+del the screen goes black and it comes up with an error notice ('failure to display security and shut down options'). sometimes when the computer is like this i can still click start and go to shut down after which everything on the screen will disappear but the background will remain,if i want to shut down i have to hold the power button down, also i read somewhere that if you go to cmd and type 'netsh windsock reset' it will help and it does but only for a few minutes, if i start the computer in safe mode it works fine.

sorry for the confusing post, its hard to explain the problem as no actual failure shows up, also after i started having this problem i installed nortons anti-virus and did the scan and removed all viruses and threats which were detected

your response and advice will be highly appreciated

thanking you

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

nadeem001 hi. Give this a try,
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/what_is_hang.html

Posted 1 year ago

nadeem001

thank you for your quick reply, i will try it now

Posted 1 year ago

nadeem001

i downloaded the software but it doesn't pick up any hung applications, this time i tried to open a video file and got an error stating "server execution failed "
i could be wrong but i think it has something to do with connecting to the internet because if i connect to the internet and open my browser, the home page will load but then the computer wont load another page,chrome shows as thou its loading but nothing happens and then if i try to open or run another file or program nothing happens, if i close my browser it closes but like all other applications it cant open again unless i restart my computer by means of a hard restrart

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

Try disabling startup programs. Follow these instructions:

http://www.howtogeek.com/74523.....n-windows/

Disable everything except for your antivirus. If you use a laptop, keep also the trackpad controller (usually called Alps or Synaptic). Restart and see if it keeps freezing.

Posted 1 year ago

nadeem001

i have disabled startup programs and it works fine when everything is disabled,i have noticed that if i don't connect to the wifi the computer works fine so im guessing the problem lies in connecting to the internet or has something to do with an internet connection

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Add the disabled programs back in one at a time (reboot between each one) to find the culprit.

Posted 1 year ago

nadeem001

if i have to so that i will, but isnt there an easier method.like i said the computer works perfect as long as i dont connect to the internet,maybe you have some more advice foe me

thank you

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

It could be one of those programs that are causing the problem. So please try.

Posted 1 year ago

nadeem001

when doing it do i have to connect to a network everytime??? im guessing if i don't the computer will work fine

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Yes

Posted 1 year ago

nadeem001

i disabled all the start up programs and restarted as you suggested however even with all the start ups disabled, the problem persisted as soon as i connected to the network, i now connected to the modem using an Ethernet cable and the computer is operating perfectly again...so im guessing the culprit has something to do with the wifi

Posted 1 year ago

nadeem001

correction the problem is not only wifi, it occurs with with the ethernet cable also

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Open a Command Prompt (as Administrator), and run the command
sfc /scannow

Posted 1 year ago

nadeem001

It states windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

But you can connect ok in Safe Mode ?

Posted 1 year ago

nadeem001

Yes I can, the computer works fine in safe mode...my sister just told me that she installed a privatization vpn software and den uninstalled it, could that be the problem???

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Give this a try,
http://fixitcenter.support.microsoft.com/Portal

Posted 1 year ago

nadeem001

i cant seem to download the software it states: "the beta test is now closed"

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Try this link; http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/#tab0

click the 'Connect to the Internet or networks' option and you find a dropdown box with some tests you can perform

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!