How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Free Website Softwares?

(21 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by XxChungxX
  • Latest reply from XxChungxX
  • Topic Viewed 945 times

XxChungxX
XxChungxX

Hey, I'm a college student and i need to make a website.
My website has to be different from the others, they use publisher, and help from wix.com

I want to make mine a little different you guys,
got any ideas or help tips, ANYTHING? :P

Want to make a Website! :D

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjDnGBrhhaQ Maybe it could be about nothing.

Posted 1 year ago

XxChungxX
XxChungxX

lol?

I don't know..

umm, yea!
i want it on computers.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Well, most websites have content or items interest at least. What do you have to offer?

Posted 1 year ago

XxChungxX
XxChungxX

oh okay,

well, i need some website editing tools.

or some website manager.

or a software that helps you create websites

Posted 1 year ago

watsona80

Blogger or Wordpress.com maybe?

Posted 1 year ago

XxChungxX
XxChungxX

ok, thanks

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Use Notepad and then change saved file to .htm extension.

Posted 1 year ago

edmenje
edmenje

If you're looking for a basic page editor you have different choices like Amaya or KompoZer which is also available as a portable app from portableapps.com. I tried KompoZer a while back and I was probably being way too choosy about how my html was structured and ended up fighting with it, but if you're not as anal-retentive as I am about how pristine the underlying code is, it will make you a good website and guide you through your choices then generate the code needed to achieve what you want.

I myself actually ditched KompoZer in favor of learning to write the code in a text editor, but you're probably not looking to become a full-time web designer like I have been working at becoming. So go for it dude, one of those would probably fit your needs, there are others, but I am not familiar with them, just google WYSIWYG Web authoring freeware.

And if you really want to dive headlong into the deep end of the pool, you could install an xaamp server and Wordpress on your computer and develop a site locally before putting it up on a public web server. And a Wordpress site would definitely be different than a website created in Publisher.

All open source and free software.

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

All you need is Coffeecup :)

Posted 1 year ago

peternik

How different you want it to be? You can start a blog, and then write some blogs which makes the difference.

good blog can be outstanding from others.

Posted 1 year ago

padda

can you say Anny thing about what type of website you gonna make? it will be easyer to help you if we know that

First post :D

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

justme2000, that really is a great help.

Google is not always the answer my friend!

Do you have anything to offer at all?

The OP asked here hoping to resolve his quest / request.
The posts, in effect, asks our members if they might have known trustworthy and knowledgeable sites

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

XxChungxX
XxChungxX

thanks guys, i appreciate this.

Posted 1 year ago

XxChungxX
XxChungxX

i would like to make a personal or helping website on computers.

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

They boys have been bugging you about what the content will be, but in fact that doesn't change the tools you need to make it ;)
I still suggest you take a look at coffeecup free html editor.
It has a lot of inbuild tools to help you create the site, but also gives you a view of what the html code looks like, so you learn as you go :)

If you want a WYSIWYG editor Kompozer is the best free option.
i tend not to like WYSIWYG editors since they also put a lot of junk in your code and you don't relly learn to understand the code.

Goodluck!

Posted 1 year ago

owen123
owen123

Try This

Its doesn't have that many themes, but then it is free.

Owen

Posted 1 year ago

RRRoman

It depends on how advanced you want your site to be. When I was starting out making web pages I used notepad because software for html editing seemed redundant at that level... So if you plan on using other languages than just html, such as PHP or C# for (ASP .net or razor) than you could check eclipse for their php editor and look for any free versions of visual studio at microsoft... otherwise in case you only plan on using html and perhaps some scripts (i.g javascript) you could use notepad++, it is free and has syntax highlighting and you can check + debug your scripts with webbrowser by hiting F12 in Chrome and/or installing a Firebug addon to Mozilla Firefox.

Posted 1 year ago

XxChungxX
XxChungxX

my website is going to be the best!! (and i'm pretty advance making)

Posted 1 year ago

RRRoman

Well a good/best website does not imply a lot of fancy-xxxx functions. In my own opinion a good site can be produced with notepad(++) just make sure it has good content and is easy to navigate in. But if you want it to be all flashy and have cool functions you might want to get some a bit more advanced software and unfortunately I do not know any free ones.

Edit by mod. Language please

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.