How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Free up Ram in Vista

(5 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by westic
  • Latest reply from TGShaftoe
  • Topic Viewed 25605 times

westic

I am new to Vista...on a laptop..
I notice Vista without any real software installed is quite Ram intensive...
Any services I can shut down to free up ram?

I would like to ditch any automatic update related services if possible as I have already had one MS update shut me down in the middle of some important coding...out of the blue with no notification whatsoever.

Any help appreciated

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

You can disable Aero first, see if that helps. What is using the most RAM when you check your Task Manager?

Posted 6 years ago

westic

I am not really familiar the various tasks but I do know there are a lot running...approximately twice as many as on my XP machine.
As I am on a Toshiba Laptop many are associated with various progs installed by Toshiba for various things...eg the biometric fingerprint reader.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

Vista needs more services running than XP in my experience as well. The best tip I can provide is that if you start disabling through run>services.msc, do so one at a time and reboot.

You can post the RAM intensive services from your task manager here, we'll be able to help you with the ones that can/should not be disabled.

Posted 6 years ago

TGShaftoe

I have the same problem with Vista business, I have a 1GB RAM and over 700MB was used by Vista, I pluged in a 2GB USB Ready Boost drive and the memory droped to about 400MB after a day of use. It works alot better now.

Sorry couldn't be any more help.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!