How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

(Solved) - Free microsoft office.

(5 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by needshelp
  • Latest reply from needshelp
  • Topic Viewed 968 times

needshelp
needshelp

First off I'm not asking for a free Microsoft office. I'm reporting a bug I had.
So a while back(about a month or 2) I downloaded Microsoft office 2010 trial version from the official Microsoft website. When I downloaded it, it gave me a cd key. So I held on to it thinking it strange but maybe important. My plan with the trial was to use it but never download the verification so that i could always have it. but, at one point I accidentally forgot to uncheck the verification file in the windows update thing when I last updated a bunch of stuff my computer said needed updating. anyways it downloaded and next time I opened word, it asked for a cd key cause my trial time was up. Good thing I saved the key. So I used it and it worked. I was pleasantly surprised. It still says trial at the top of my office programs but hey it works.

What i think happened.
At the time when i was searching the website looking for the trial version, all that It had was the full version. So I clicked "add to cart" thinking i could change it to trial version later. Then I tried downloading and it said to pay money. So I left that and went to trusty google and typed somewhere along the lines of "microsoft office 2010 trial version" and that brought me to the official microsoft page with the trial for download. So then I clicked "add to cart" when i went to the "checkout" I noticed the full version was still there alongside the trial version. This is probably due to the fact that before I just left the page and didn't cancel the checkout before. So at this point I remove the full version from the checkout and proceeded to download the trial version. it gave me the "receipt" that had the key with it.
------
strange. anyways I'm not going to test it again cause i may have just gotten lucky. anybody else had this happen? anybody gonna try?

Posted 2 years ago

warlock
warlock

I am not going to try it. I already have Office that I paid for.

Posted 2 years ago

needshelp
needshelp

I'm not asking anybody to try it. I'm just saying this may be a bug, i found.

Posted 2 years ago

scifidata
scifidata

i tried to dl a free trial but kept getting pop ups fro microsoft, just dld open office in the end ,

Posted 2 years ago

needshelp
needshelp

[update]
Well after a while windows update wanted to install the validation thing again and i said no but it did it anyways of course. So i tried the key again and it worked. A little ways after that it happened again (yesterday) only this time after entering the key, which worked again, after finishing my document and then reopening it (I forgot to change something) it asked for the key again and it didn't work.

So I'm going to go ahead and buy a product key from Microsoft.
Cool story bro-
Needshelp

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!