The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - free anti-virus software

(14 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by LarrySr
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 842 times

LarrySr

Are there any good free anti-virus software packages out there?

Posted 2 years ago

Ted16

Probably get a better response on the main forum but Microsoft Security Essentials (which I use) Avast and AVG although not that keen on AVG as has in the past given me some problems. All these are free.

Ted

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

Larry if it's for your XP build then so long as have SP3 then MSE http://windows.microsoft.com/e.....s-download
AVG has become very sluggish with XP.

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

needshelp

Microsoft Security Essentials without a doubt best free anti-virus.

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

New link for US; http://www.microsoft.com/secur.....y/mse.aspx

Posted 2 years ago

nosparks

This topic is under WindowsXP but is this for the Windows ME your other recent post have been for?

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

nosparks, I moved it to XP, the Operating system Larry will be using,

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

LarrySr

I am getting mixed reviews on the AVG anti-virus software. I have heard it is good and does a great job and I have also heard that there is a major problem with the current versions. A friend of mine told me they are using free version on their home PC and the paid version on there work PC and both are causing major problem with there computers. They told me that AVG has acknowledged the problems and has even sent them a fix but it did not work. He told me he would not recommend it at all. He also said that if he can get his computer straightened out that he planning on dumping it completely. Has anyone else heard of these problems.

Posted 2 years ago

LarrySr

Vistamike; thank you for combining these topics. I was not sure where to post this. Is there a way I can get the moved discussion deleted from my profile?

Posted 2 years ago

hArLtRoN

AVG is very resource heavy. I have always used avast! and MSE, but I prefer to use avast! over MSE just because I like it a little better.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

At my computer club we got all systems heavily infected whilst AVG was on the guard. And those were XP, Vista and Win7. I would never use it. At this point, MSE is probably the best option.

Posted 2 years ago

LarrySr

Is there a version of MSE available that will run on Windows XP?

Posted 2 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

There is one version and it runs on XP, Vista, and Win7.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

http://www.filehippo.com/downl.....ssentials/

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.