Forum UI stuff - need opinions

(53 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by The Geek
  • Latest reply from LifesSweetDrug
  • Topic Viewed 3064 times

thegeek
The Geek

@Smash

I've been trying to get the UI put together... I'm doing it all in my spare time so it could be this weekend or a few years away, depending on how much time I have =)

My goal is really just to improve the forum for both the current dedicated users as well as make it easier to get acclimated to for new users... it's a balancing act.

Posted 6 years ago

Smashpmk712
Smashpmk712

Cool thank you so much for all your hard work .... this site has been a life saver a few times for me.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Anything I can do to help, I will (no demands for money or difficult coding please)

Posted 6 years ago

Smashpmk712
Smashpmk712

same here. But I warn you ... when it come to websites all i know is basic HTML. Oh yeah and all the DNS and networking stuff behind them.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I just thought of a new idea for the forum home page.
It's not always obvious what forum a post is in when you see it on the forum home page.
My idea is to add the forum to the display of topics.
It could be something like "Forum X: Topic Title", "Topic title in forum X" or going with icon idea there could be an added icon denoting the forum with something like an OS Logo.

Also how are the other ideas like post icons on this thread coming along?
Are you working on them or decide against them?

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

I agree with jd, perhaps you could just add an extra column to denote which subforum the topic is part of.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

I second jd and taybay. I made the mistake a few times posting a Vista solution to an XP problem. Fortunately jd always catches it.

Posted 6 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

DEFINITELY a Rick Text Editor.

And email notification would be nice (you posted a reply to me on another thread that this was something you were considering when you got around to it . . . you also said that RSS feeds were already an option, but for those of us that have a primitive dial up, maybe the email notification option would be better).

A "preview" post feature would also be good. Right now you can sort of do that by submitting and then editing, but that is a workaround and it only "lasts" for as long as you can edit (which I think is 15 minutes after you post). Sometimes it takes a little longer if you want to modify the post substantially, and the 15 minute edit function sometimes "expires" (this happened to me once). A "preview" might prevent that from happening.

I said it before in another thread, but I'll say it again: My compliments on your maintenance of this forum, especially if it is, as it is, on your own time and dime.

Posted 6 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

I found a workaround to the RSS feed for us archaic dial up users (those few of us who haven't stepped into the 21st Century and put our stubby pencils down). I put all the threads I'm interested in on my "Favorites" list. It's kind of tedious because the list grows (haven't trimmed it down yet, but that will help), but at least it gives me a way to go immediately to the thread I want to look at without searching for it.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@The Geek,

Take a look at the huge list of Topics with NO-Replies. Need some method to keep them active for some (Reasonable) period of time.

A (Solved) topic is a +10; A try is a +5; A don't know is a 0 AND A No-Reply is a -25 to others looking at this forum including those providing the revenue stream.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Didn't read all of this - just hit the latest reply link when Lighthouse offered that:)
But I wonder what font is set for this forum? The screenshot at the beginning is quite different from how it looks for me (I have a tendency to delete fonts, as Lighthouse knows well, LOL).

Edit - might be Verdana? Figures ...

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

wow seems like i got to this one a bit late but if there could be a solved button that the original poster could push to have it say solved on it might be helpful because i think the mods mainly do it now. and i think that it look really good so far

Posted 5 years ago

LifesSweetDrug
LifesSweetDrug

I think it could be useful to be able to chose how the columns on the forum page is listed.

So for example you could either chose to list it by number of views, posts or freshness etc. if you know what I mean.

It could just be me though!

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!