How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Forum UI stuff - need opinions

(53 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by The Geek
  • Latest reply from LifesSweetDrug
  • Topic Viewed 3064 times

thegeek
The Geek

I'm working on modifying the thread list view on the front page and other pages. Instead of just throwing the theme out there like I did last time, I figured I'd put up a screenshot and get some thoughts from all of you.

The key change is that original poster has been added to the view, and it's been changed to double-line. Oh, and I added icons.

Thoughts?

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Looks nice although I am not sure what the Icons are used for. I wonder whether it would make more sense to show the number of times the item has been viewed rather than the number of posts. The number of posts you see anyhow when you open the item. Number of views gives you an idea of the interest in it or the difficulty of the subject. If a lot of people have viewed but still no answer, then you know you have a toughie.

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

I would agree with adding number of views as well. Number of posts is necessary, but a view count is a pretty common forum feature. Also, I like the icons. I'm assuming the icons would reflect whether a post is new or not. For some reason it's sometimes difficult for me to differentiate between bold and normal threads, so this would help.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Not directly related to this Forum page but to Postings I was wondering whether there was a facility to highlight sections or words in a posting - maybe in another color (except blue which is reserved for URL's). I am not pleading for a "color circus" but sometimes you want something to stand out to focus the reader on it. Just one more optional color or typeset.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Personally I check out threads where I only see 1 post... definitely useful.

The views wouldn't be tough to add, we're tracking them just only showing them on the topic page. Incidentally we've had about 500k total views on the forum threads so far... that's just viewing of topics alone.

The bold / normal threads is a big problem... I've been unhappy with that for a while and plan to make that more obvious. The icons are going to be for new / old, as taybay mentioned, and also separate icons for closed threads.

As far as highlighting, do you mean when you write a post? I've been considering adding a rich text editor as an option... is that something that would be useful?

Posted 6 years ago

HASH
HASH

I would say both thread views and no. of posts are useful. I would prefer a whole new theme however the font that is currently used in fine.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I will concede to popular opinion on this one (I neither like, nor dislike the change). But, could the Latest Discussions on all Forums please be run over several pages. It's sometimes a job to find something you looked at yesterday and can't remember what forum it was connected to

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Very true Lighthouse. Right now we are playing Hide and Seek.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Yeah, I think we have a couple problems with paging, both on the front page as well as the views.

You guys are welcome to propose a different look/theme... it's your forum, afterall =)

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

On Highlighting: Just the ability to highlight a word or a phrase here and there in the posting/answer - either by different type set, bolding or color
Paging: I think this is a real problem
Different Look: I would not change it too radically. That would alienate us. The proposal looks good if some of the smaller items could be added.

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

I'm putting in a vote for the rich text editor as well.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Hey, who's payin' for all of this?

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

It's taybays "rich" editor

Posted 6 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

I like the original poster under the subject. It's a keeper.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Yep, InDiSent, that is good
@Sir Geek, and underneath the last post, maybe shortcut "Return to Forum" or somesuch

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

@Lighthouse

Do you mean last post as in this page or the forum thread list page?

The only expense involved is my time =)

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

@The Geek
As in this page. To give a direct return to the forum thread list page.

Time ain't nothing but it's free

Posted 6 years ago

Smashpmk712
Smashpmk712

Maybe instead of having the icon be for new/old posts we could have it for the different sections like on the geek articles. This would make it greatly easier for identifying if an article plays to you strengths or weaknesses.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

I am still not sure I understand the use of the icons. Maybe they could contain the 'number of posts' and then the 'number of views' could go on the right side of the page.
If one day we will be blessed with a "rich editor" it would be nice if it were compatible with Word. Thus postings drafted in Word and pasted into the Forum would retain their setup.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

@Smashpmk712: that's a good idea, somebody else suggested that to me as well.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!