How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Forum Stats after first week

(17 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by The Geek
  • Latest reply from thegeek
  • Topic Viewed 1978 times

thegeek
The Geek

Thought this might be interesting to a few of you.

• Total Topics: 146
  • Total Posts: 436
  • Total Topic Views: 3,154
  • Total Page Views (Google Analytics): 8,376

Not too bad for the first week, but we definitely want to grow bigger.

Posted 7 years ago

Scott
Scott

And 13,500+ RSS readers :)

Posted 7 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Yeah!

I swear, I spend 100% of my day working these days...

I have something in the works that will shock and amaze!

Posted 7 years ago

Scott
Scott

A Firefox Theme, Extension or Toolbar? ;)

Posted 7 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

None of the above! Try again!

Posted 7 years ago

Scott
Scott

HTG is going public and 1st week posters can buy pre-IPO options !

Posted 7 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Now that would shock and amaze even me!

Still wrong =)

Posted 7 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

The addition of "Bounties" to the top menu isn't it, but hopefully it'll help the bounty program grow.

Posted 7 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Actually, I'm wondering if the link to forums should be to the right of the new bounties link... anybody got an opinion on that?

Posted 7 years ago

taybay
taybay

I would agree. Bounties is too easily overlooked. If people are looking for a forum, they'll find it. Not everyone is looking for a bounty.

Posted 7 years ago

Scott
Scott

Geek, taybay,

I'm all for anything to enhance the bounty feature. Not in a selfish way, I'm hoping that this becomes a destination for folks willing to pay for an app that cures their ill.

How can your bounty page rise in pagerank to #2 behind 'Dog the Bounty Hunter?

Posted 7 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I've found a very cool Paypal gadget that I'm going to hook up into the bounties so that other people can help contribute to the bounty "pot".

http://www.chipin.com/

I still have some things to take care of before I can hook that up, but I think that giving anybody the ability to contribute to the bounty will make the bounty feature really work.

Imagine if somebody comes up with a great idea, and then a bunch of people donate to the cause... it could end up being a huge bounty pot that would actually turn the heads of skilled programmers.

Posted 7 years ago

Scott
Scott

That's what I'm talkin' about !

The content you provide is very well written and not retreaded hints and tricks. Most people by now know how to turn off UAC.

The bounty program is truly unique (AFAIK), and once it gets legs, this will be a helluva frequently visited destination.

Posted 7 years ago

FMZ
FMZ

In my opinion the bounty set up is ground breaking, and I agree with Scott, this will indeed be a frequently visited

-Forum should be at the right of the bounty, makes more sense to me that is
-what about an optional spellcheck before "sending" the post?

Posted 7 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I think I'm going to switch the links to show the forums link on the right... it's been bugging me all day.

Spellcheck, check. I'll look into that.

What about a "Reply" feature like most other forums have? bbPress doesn't come with that functionality built in, so I'm going to have to create it myself, but maybe I should focus on something else first... what do you think?

Posted 7 years ago

Scott
Scott

I don't think you want to change the threading method and have a reply appear under a specific post above the bottom, do you?

Otherwise, having to log in to reply isn't so bad.

@ FMZ, is Firefox an option for you?

Posted 7 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Well, I guess what I'm really meaning is a "quote" feature so you can quote the person that you are replying to. I wouldn't actually make it threaded, I don't really like that much unless it's done just right, which is very difficult especially when people don't understand how to use it.

I switched the links on the top bar, feels much better now. I hit that forums link so many times during the day to reload the forums page... I'm too impatient to wait for the live bookmark to update =)

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.