How-To Geek Forums / Site Suggestions

Formatting issues . . .

(33 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by BobJam
  • Latest reply from BobJam
  • Topic Viewed 3927 times

BobJam

Hey Scott,

OK . . . it looks like if I use "li" I can insert text along with a URL.

But your source code looks like this:

I don't see any bacticks in there, it just shows as pure HTML code. So, I'm going to try it as your code shows, and with the "li" tag as your image shows:

li = LookyHereScott,

Since this board doesn't have a preview window, I'm just going to have to hit "Send Post" and see if this turns out. One question on this though . . . why the rel=nofollow tag?? That wasn't in your image. Is that something this board software inserts?

Hey Rick,

Huh???

Here's your code:

I don't see any text after the "Edit"?? And that's the way your post came out to. Did you delete something?

Fingers crossed . . .

BJ

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Bob,

It ain't working.

NO Pics !!

I deleted all the front end code I grabbed as a joke and posted because it won't work without access to what I call (the back end) server protected code which is probably PHP and script. I was playing around with Lighthouse when I posted the site on the site (LOL) (LOL). Only left the huge post up for about (3)-(4) minutes and then EDITED it out.

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

No BobJam, I did not delete anything. I have no idea why some things work on the boards and others do not.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

I seem to remember being able to use some markups here at one time. Some BBcode markups worked and some HTML, but it was never consistent. I think that I just gave up trying. The BBcode IMG and CODE tags are the only thing that I use anymore. I guess the only way to find out what works is to try it. Here goes:

BBcode bold
BBcode Italics

BBcode quoted text

<b>HTML bold</b>
<i>HTML italics</i>
Emphasis?
Strong?

Ordered list

1. First item
  2. Second item

Unordered list

• Item one
  • Item two
Posted 6 years ago

BobJam

Hey Rick,

OK . . . I finally got the images to work. After messing around with it for some time (and Rick, I guess you popped in during one of my many failures), I got it to take. This time instead of the simple straight brackets I had used before I used the HTML coding character. It finally worked when I did that img src= coding AND used backticks. Very confusing because, as I just said, it did not work as it did before. This time it was completely different.

And, as you can see, Scott's method didn't work. Curiously, the LookyHereScott links to the Wiki here, not the Wikipedia site.

Hey Scott,

If you can take a look at my image here of the source code for that. I pretty much followed your image. Here's my coding:

Hey ScottW,

Your surmise that this thing is not consistent is correct based on my experiences. And I was curious about bolding and italics, so your experiment showed that didn't work.

Anyway, Scott the Mod, can you see where I messed up on that li thing with putting text along with a link?? I thought I did it as your graphic showed, but apparently not, or else this board software gets fickle within an hour between posts.

Posted 6 years ago

BobJam

Hey Geek,

Please don't misunderstand all my messing around here . . . I'm not "pushing" for any remedy, just experimenting to see what I can do and what other people can do. You run a fine board and this is really a minor concern. Not bashing the board at all.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

Any error in a link will point back to the main HTG page.
the 'li =' was inserted by me for emphasis.

Posted 6 years ago

BobJam

Hey Scott,

I noticed you changed your avatar.

I'm pretty maxed out on coding right now, so maybe I'll try again later.

So if I leave out the li= thing it should work?? I tried so many iterations (which is why I say I'm maxed out right now), I may have tried that one, but who knows . . .

BJ

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Bob,

I Agree with The Geek, Scott and ScottW.

It is the bbpress or whatever press program which is the problem and that is just the way it is.

I just got lucky ONE time and used code to pull the (My Build Picture) from my website storage folder but probably it was just a matter of timing or something. The picture is still linked in that old thread but the minute I edit it, I'll bet the picture and code will go away so I just leave it alone (LOL) (LOL).

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

BobJam

Hey Rick,

Yes, I agree with those guys too, and you are correct in saying "that is just the way it is".

Nevertheless, I like messing around with this thing. I also like doing appendectomies on canaries with a dull rusty knife, so you can see where my head is at. (No, I'm just kidding about that . . . I'm not that much of a pervert).

The thing about messing around with this though . . . since it's so random, you really have to have a lot of patience. That's why I got maxed out . . . I ran out of patience.

And before you say "Get a life", I'll say it . . . I need to get a life.

BJ

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

Note that I disabled the bbcode plugin, because that is the root of most of the problems... I'm in the process of fixing the others. The issue with lists and some other things are just that I need to add the stylesheet rules.

Posted 6 years ago

BobJam

Testing

Hey Scott Looky Here

Trying to embed text in a url.

Posted 6 years ago

BobJam

It finally worked . . . had to try it a few times.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.