How-To Geek Forums / Site Suggestions

Formatting issues . . .

(33 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by BobJam
  • Latest reply from BobJam
  • Topic Viewed 3927 times

BobJam
BobJam

We have learned how to insert images (well . . . Rick hasn't yet, but he's stuck on "correct" coding <grin>), but are there other "hidden" formatting talents to this board software??

I know below the posting window it says "Allowed markup: a blockquote br code em strong ul ol li img.
Put code in between

<

." (EDIT: hey, I see this "tick" stuff did something), but I've tried some of that nonsense and it doesn't work. But then maybe I've tried it "incorrectly" (to borrow the term from Rick . . . OK, too much picking on Rick, and he may be the very one to actually figure this out since he's a coding kinda' guy). So maybe that's another hidden secret of this board software.

Perhaps those seemingly useless directions aren't explicit enough.

So, my question, and my related proposal in a bit, is: Has anybody figured out how to do any formatting beyond inserting images??

And the actual image inserting "secret" has nothing to do with the board instructions, other than the fact that the letters "img" are there. But since "img" is there does that also imply that we can do bolding with "em" or "strong" if we know the secret coding this whacky software will accept?

So here's my proposal: Perhaps a sticky post with instructions of how to do other formatting code (if there is anything else besides inserting images that somebody has figured out how to do) would help. Or maybe that sticky post, titled something like "How to do formatting on posts", could have a link to a Wiki article that somebody could write. I'd say just to do the Wiki article and forget the sticky except many newbies don't browse for those things, so a Wiki article alone might not be found by too many people.

For example, I thought I saw a post somewhere here with indentation (which the "list" coding will do . . . is that the "li" referenced in the board software instructions?), but that may have been something I saw on another board.

If somebody here has figured out how to do indentation, that would go a long way toward making posts more readable and understandable if we could offset quoted material with indentation. Or maybe that "blockquote" coding the board software references will do it.

All formatting does, as far as I'm concerned, is make things more readable and understandable. So I'm not wanting any of this formatting just to make things look "pretty". Formatting actually is practical.

Of course, as I said, if there isn't any way to format beyond inserting an image, all bets are off and my proposal, in the words of Richard Nixon and the Watergate conspirators (dating myself here) is . . . "inoperative".

Thoughts anyone?

BJ

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

BobJam, you are far beyond my wish list. It would already help, if people used proper English or proper any language. The loose usage of language is far more disturbing than the lack of indents. Interestingly enough, it seems to be mostly people that do NOT have English as their native language who post correctly.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

There are a ton of problems with the formatting... I'm working on them.

I need to figure out how to fix that backtick problem.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

All,

Ole Rick and whs are sticklers for doing things "by the book". (LOL) (LOL).

I can fill this site with images but just want to do it the (correct) way with proper coding (if there is such a thing).

Don't worry about "picking" on Rick P.; have had plenty of "bullet holes through the wings and landed with gear-up" before (LOL) (LOL).

Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

whs,

Yes, I sometimes wonder how someone can figure out what some people are saying. Very often I'm unable to even come close to interpreting what their problem is. My first response to some posts is "Huh???" Usually those that mangle the language are the same ones that give no, or incomplete, information. In a lot of posts I often see something like "We need more information before we can help you".

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Very true. I wonder whether they are just sloppy or halfwits or both.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

The customer is always right. Except when he (or her) is wrong :)

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Yes, but we are not selling anything. And for the pay we get, they could make it a little easier on us. After all, we are no mind readers.

Posted 6 years ago

Bartman
Bartman

Don't know if it would help, but maybe a sticky about "posting guidelines" is in order?

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Bartman, there is a sticky on Forum rules. Maybe the Geek could make a mention about proper language. But then, who reads it - certainly not the type clientele we are talking about.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

This is always good to start off with.

COMP WONT GO CAN U PLS HEP M !!!!!!!!

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Is it a full moon? or what!

Posted 6 years ago

Bartman
Bartman

It was the texting language, punctuation, lack of information aspect I was referring to.
But you're probably right, no one would read it. :-(

Posted 6 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

My original question still remains unanswered: Has anybody figured out how to do any formatting beyond inserting images??

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

We could make everyone who signs up read this before their first post :o
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

Not likely.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

where URL is the address and link text is what you want to refer to it as, or

LookyHereBobJam

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Scott. I've read that. How many of the regular members have? Let alone the new ones. It's still not complete tho'.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Scott, the MS link is good. It even comes up in local languages. So there can be no misunderstanding.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@LH

EDIT:

That fixed it.

Thanks,
Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

No comment at the end?

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.