The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Apple / OS X

Formatting An External HDD To exFAT

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by joefuf
  • Latest reply from Kelen
  • Topic Viewed 5738 times

joefuf

I am beginning to work on my senior thesis film, and I need to format my HDD. I will be editing with a friend - she will be on a Mac and I will be on my Dell running Windows 7.

Because we are doing video editing, the files can sometimes become larger than 4gb, which makes it difficult to use FAT32 as a partition format. I can't use NTFS because then she won't be able to write to the HDD.

I was going to try and use exFAT as the format, however, when I plugged the HDD into her laptop (and another friend's with a Mac) it gives me the error that "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer," and I can either "Initialize..." "Ignore," or "Eject."

In reading online, I found most people saying that the Mac update 10.6.5 would allow for exFAT to be read, but they were both running 10.7.5. Is this a common occurrence with Macs? Does this format not play well with Macs and PCs? Are there programs my friend can download to her Mac that will read an exFAT HDD?

I read further online and saw that some people talked about "Allocation Unit Size" being a factor in formatting to exFAT properly. I formatted my HDD on my Dell, but I am not sure what "Allocation Unit Size" was set to when I formatted it. Could this be something I could change to make the HDD work on her Mac?

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

Hi, I'm not a Mac user so can't verify is this works

http://macosx.com/forums/howto.....lumes.html

Posted 1 year ago

joefuf

Do you have any idea if this works for Macs to see exFAT drives? It seems to specify NTFS

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

You need to format the drive to NTFS and with the above the MAC should be able to see the NTFS partition. As I said I haven't got a Mac so can verify this. NTFS will recognize partitions larger than 4GB so in theory you shouldn't need to worry about exFAT partitions

Please read the thread the heading says

Thread: How to make your Mac OS X recognize, read, and write to NTFS volumes

Posted 1 year ago

joefuf

Well I wanted the thread to be about Mac OS X being able to recognize, read, and write to exFAT volumes.

Posted 1 year ago

Kelen
Kelen

Use Disk Utility on one of the Macs with Lion installed (10.7.x) and use that to format the drive as ExFAT. Macs don't give you to much choice about allocation size unless you use terminal. Your Windows computer will read/write to it just fine then. Depending on what OS your using between all the computers they might not be able to handle certain allocation sizes. An example would be plugging such a drive into a Windows XP system, it doesn't have a full support for exfat.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!