The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Formatting & Getting Rid of W7 System Reserved / Hard Drive as slave

(18 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by pinkbow2
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 12031 times

pinkbow2

I have rebuild my computer and purchase a new sata hard drive to put into it. I would like to put my old hard drive as a slave for storage. I re-formatted my old hard drive and it still has the System reserved on the hard drive. How can I remove this 99.9MB reserve from my hard drive because this hard drive is only going to be used as a slaved. -------- Second question can I put an old IED hard drive as a slave with a new Sata? My new board takes both.

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

The 100MB partition is probably the active partition - thus it contains the MBR and if you delete it you cannot boot. You did not say where your C partition is, but you have these options.

1. reinstall Windows7 on your new with your installation disk. But disconnect to old IDE disk during the installation. Then you will get a new 100MB partition. If you do not want that, you have to predefine a Windows7 partition (must be marked "active") on the new disk and install into that partition. for predefinition of the partition you can use the bootable CD of this program ( http://www.partitionwizard.com.....nager.html ).

2. If yonr win7 is already installed on your new disk, disconnect the IDE and mark the C partition as Active (with above program). Then you have to run a system repair 3 times from your installation disk to rebuild the MBR. There is also a "rebuild MBR" function in the above program. I have never used it, but you can try whether that does the job.

Posted 3 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

I assume the system has booted OK WHS... I think what he's seeing is the RECYCLE bin or a left-over SYSTEM RESTORE on the old drive.

It is also possible that the OP has 2 partitions showing?

I'd like to see a picture of what the OP saw and how, as well as the exact details.

Irv S.

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

Yeah, right. A picture of Disk Management would help. As long as he has the 100MB partition, the system will boot. But if he deletes it, that's another story.
PS: I am not sure what you mean regarding the Recycle Bin. And system restore points from shadowstorage would not show up.

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

pinkbow2,

Use these tools to configure your Second SATA and Third IDE HDs for storage.
http://www.partitionwizard.com.....nager.html
http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Could do it in Disk Manager OR with Diskpart also.

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

@WSH, it depends on what you use to see files, I use an Explorer replacement, and how you've set the options for what to display. I see 2 folders :

SYSTEM RECOVERY
SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION

One is the Recycle Bin and the other the Shadow Copy.

These are both denied access folders and start with System, and I was wondering if that is what he saw?

DISKPART from a COMMAND PROMPT could also be used to display the info and pasted here.

Irv S.

Posted 3 years ago

Veegertx
Veegertx

EDIT: All you need for Win 7 is the 7 dvd. It will wipe delete any all partitions from this screen. If not new drive click the format after you do this, doesn't take long at all. If you [Next] Win will do short format.

If you are fresh installing Win 7 create a partition and it makes the small 100mb. Now delete the larger partition. Select small 100mb and choose extend.
This shows where I delete the large and is now unallocated. This is a VM so only 40gb drive.

Far as booting, I've been doing this since vista frst came out in beta.

Posted 3 years ago

Veegertx
Veegertx

Also from above, when you setup Win 7 some have had trouble with other drive's hooked up while installing, I do not. That is not related to this format thing but some kind of bug in windows. If you run into errors then simply shut down and disconnect all other drives and start over.

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@Veegertx,

Above is correct BUT disagree with installing with the little 100MB partition.

Maybe I've missed something but books say no need for (2) partitions ??

This was brought up by whs with his SSD at one time.

I always configured HD geometry for one partition install of Win7 without 100MB partition
so didn't understand the topic answer and moved on.

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

Veegertx
Veegertx

From Technet they say it does this by default and the small partition is for Bitlocker. So if you are going to use that then you need to leave it.

I don't have 2 partitions and haven't since Vista beta
after you extend you have 1 partition

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

(LOL) I Never trusted GUI extend /shrink utilites so have always used
old command line utilities myself for HD prep. (LOL)

Just me BUT never have had any problems either. :) :)

Yes, never would use bit locker - not a spook. (LOL)

Good Tip !!!!

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

Veegertx
Veegertx

I'm a command line junkie enough at work with 12 20+ year old machines. Win 7 still has a very powerful command line with many tools.
I see they updated the .chm for that Windows Command Reference
http://www.microsoft.com/downl.....10266cf72a

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@Veegertx,

THANKS !!!! :) :)

I don't know if the file I had on my desktop was old or updated so just replaced it from your link.

Notice that MS is putting the Unblock Botton in the properties of more downloaded files
before they can be used.

Strange ??

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Rick, a form of 'protection' against getting files from another system that may not be for your system I think, BUILT INTO the OS.

See http://www.petri.co.il/unblock.....-vista.htm for some info and how to get around it.

Irv S.

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@Irv,

Thanks !!

Yep, that's a picture of the little UNBLOCK button.

I don't get a warning as such.

I just have to remember to click on it before using the download file for the first time.

After that, it goes away.

Thinking back, I remember something about old Vista being "Picky" about files from my readings.

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

Veegertx
Veegertx

Win 7 here, guess I'm living on the edge or what. I see no unblock in anything I do but I run with UAC off. I am somewhat very wary and run anti-virii programs and several malware type things and have multi way's to restore my system

or is it that reg tweak that supposedly fixes ModRiskFileTypes. I don't add things like that till I'm 100%. I am a reg nerd so study them before adding
REG ADD "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations" /V "ModRiskFileTypes" /t REG_SZ /d ".exe;.cmd;.bat;.com;.inf;.txt;.doc;.reg;.rar;.7z;.zip;.msi" /f

That is not present on my system

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Win7-64 here running in Classic Shell as Built-in Administrator with ALL privileges and no UAC.

No Real time AV running. Manually scan during maintenance secession everyday.

Use Complete Image(s) of HD to restore quickly if anything should happen.

All important data Compressed + Zipped and kept on multiple other HDs + network.

I'll add any good Tweak to the Registry. :) : )

(Do as I say; NOT as I do) (LOL)

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Not on my W7 system either, I do run UAC, and I get the UNBLOCK.

My Registry POLICIES only has as entries :

ActiveDesktop
Attachments
Explorer (with sub entries)
NonEnum
Ratings
System

but no Associations.

Searching the web, it doesn't seem that REG 'fix' is related at all to the BLOCK message,

http://www.msfn.org/board/topi.....ork-share/

However, MS has this :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883260

so it seems IF one were to add ALL possible extensions to your 'fix' it would work. The file for the command line is .CHM, and not in your list.

Wonder why according to the MS KB article I don't have 'Associations'? XP only?

Irv S.

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!