SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

(Solved) - Formatted Ext 3, Intalled Linux; Lupu-501.sfs Not Found. Can't Access tty.

(24 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by JamesTKirk
  • Latest reply from JamesTKirk
  • Topic Viewed 3110 times

JamesTKirk
JamesTKirk

Hello Cybertechs,

I formatted the hd in linux ext 3, installed Puppy. The OS won't fully load up, but tries.
Now every time that I boot, this is the error message that I get: [] = Words here are in red.
"Searching for files in computer disk drives...
[] Lupu-501.sfs not found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console... []
/bin/sh: can't access tty;
job control turned off
# _"

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

EDIT: Ops wrong Solution I posted. :( :(

Check out the Link below for info.

http://www.puppylinux.com/hard-puppy.htm

http://www.murga-linux.com/pup.....p?p=428108

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

JamesTKirk
JamesTKirk

Rick P., I like the picture you chose for your icon. That's cool. I like animated icons.
raphoenix, my gosh, 12,000 posts, holy macaroon. That's more than a dozen cookies, or two. I only have 24 posts, so I guess that I not a cybertech yet...
Your famous: your names precedes you. People talk about you with respect and praise. People think highly of you. People seem to say that you are the best. And when I say the best, this is in the category of hardware, or so word has it. Some say you are an expert, and named you specifically.

Okay, so here's the situation: [This is what I have done since I talked to you last]

As you know, the hd was in the linux ext 3 format. Would this ext 3 format cause a problem for the installation of an older Linux OS like puppy since ext 3 is made for the newer Linux instead? Ext 3 could have been the cause of this error? I then formatted the hd to ext 2 and did a fresh install of Puppy with a clean hd wipe. Nothing has changed!!! The EXACT same thing happens!! AND I still get this same error message!?

What is causing this to happen? And what is the solution? If there is ANYONE that knows how to fix it, it is you: because so far, NO one has been "able" to fix it yet.
So, as you see, its good that I ran into you...

Rick P., thanks for your reply. raphoenix, maybe you can help?

Captain Kirk
USS Enterprise

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

James,

I'm not really sure what the problem is but my advice is to start at the Link Below and proceed from there.

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage

Each Distro of Linux is ever under going revisions and patches so probably your best bet is to join a PuppyLinux Dedicated Forum for the most up to date information concerning the O/S.

HTG whole heartily supports Open Source Software but there are so many flavors, it is very hard to keep up with all Distros and Releases plus Patches.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

JamesTKirk
JamesTKirk

Hello Rick P.,
Yes, that "would" work, except that Puppy is no longer on the hd, and I am back to square one again.
I am using two computers, putting the hd in an external hd case and attaching it via USB to the second computer to format/install the OS.

Here is what I have done since I last talked to you:
--I formatted the ext 2 to NTFS, but it failed with an error?
--I formatted the hd to FAT32
--I formatted the hd to NTFS
--I put most of Bart's computer repair tools on the hd, hoping that at least one (or all) of them would work
--I booted the computer
--A black screen was returned, with the error message of, "A Disk Read Error Occurred": I guess you need an OS on the hd or it won't boot!!!
The computer can't read the drive because there are no bootable files on it, specifically, an OS; other files don't count!

Here is the current situation:
There is no OS or partial install thereof, of an OS on the hd
Only Bart's computer repair tools are on the hd, which don't function unless there is an OS "also" installed at the same time, and so, are, at the moment, completely useless.
The hd is in the NTFS file format
The computer won't boot
I get a black screen with an error message. "A Disk Read Error Occurred. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart"
Then the computer freezes and will not accept any input
There are 7 colored dots on the screen; five of them are blinking; they are in two diagonal lines; inside the colored dots are letters that do not appear on the keyboard.

**Note: the situation is NOT with Puppy!!!!!!!!!! I am merely using Puppy as a repair tool! I am trying to fix my computer so that it will run. I use XP as the OS. This is what I am trying to do. I am trying to get BACK to XP!!

raphoenix,
Can you help me get back to XP?

Captain Kirk
USS Enterprise

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

James,

You need the Original XP Installation CD and the Motherboard Chipset Drivers.

We can ether Slipstream the the Chipset Drivers into an Installation CD or hopefully your machine still has an old floppy drive on it.

What is the EXACT Make and Model Number of the Machine or Motherboard ??

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

JamesTKirk
JamesTKirk

Hello Rick P., how's it going?

Manufacturer: Compaq Evo
Notebook Model: N610c
Processor Type: Mobile Intel Pentium 4-M CPU 2

Since I have previously had XP already installed on it, and it ran fine, I already have all of the drivers that I need.
I have the Original XP Installation CD.
I do not have a floppy drive.
I have two computers, each with 1 USB slot
I have a USB flash drive.
I have an external drive case that you can put a a hd in; it has a USB cord

Captain Kirk
USS Enterprise

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Am assuming the N610c machine has a CD Burner in the multi-bay.

Nuke the HD on the N610c

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dban/

Try to re-install using original XP CD.

It has an older 2003 PATA HD interface.

Might work ??

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

JamesTKirk
JamesTKirk

Rick P.,

So by nuke, you mean format?

Here's what I've done since I've talked to you last:
--I used the "undelete" program
--Apparently, if I am using the program correctly, then the only files that I am able to recover are those before my last format?

*So the "undelete" program is only able to recover files from one format back?

Captain Kirk
USS Enterprise

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Nuke, is meaning this,
http://www.dban.org/
http://how-to-erase-hard-drive.com/

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

JamesTKirk
JamesTKirk

raphoenix,
Lighthouse,
Rick P.,

I thought format WAS the best that you could do to a hd, or at least that it was good enough, a clean slate and all. I have never heard of "having" to use this technique. But if that's what you think we should do---

You do know that if you do a Killdisk, you won't be able to "recover/undelete" ANY information right? Okay, just checking. So this is the plan huh?

Hmmm, this program is like the W98 bit sector scan disk. I remember this thing. I may have done the bit sector scan disk once, but I remember that it took a LONG time. But, I guess this takes even longer; either that or I have a slow computer. Guess this is an all day project. Or two.

Okay, I used the "Wipe" and "Killdisk".
So now what do I do Rick P?

This is what I've done since I've talked to you last:

--I copied the ME Startup Disk files onto the hd
--I booted the computer
--I still get the "A Disk Read Error has Occurred" error message
--I am not able to get to the DOS prompt
--I wiped my hd with the Killdisk program

Do you need to load the DOS prompt program into RAM inorder to USE it, like with a floppy, USB, or CD?

Captain Kirk
USS Enterprise

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

James,

Dban the HD.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dban/

Specs for the Machine.
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/prod.....2_div.HTML

Reinstall Windows using the Operating System Disc (Any FULL INSTALLATION XP DISC O/S you have.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizs.....=c00681978

Machine Device Drivers you will need to download and store on CD or USB Stick and then install after O/S installation.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizs.....nvOID=1093

Machine is IDE I think But this is good tutorial for installing on Sata HD.
http://techrena.blogspot.com/2.....rs-or.html

Intel XP Sata Drivers for Floppy F6 installation that can be Extracted for making Slipstream CD in above Link.
http://downloadcenter.intel.co.....nloadType=

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

JamesTKirk
JamesTKirk

Hello Rick P,

At first I thought that it was kind of strange after doing that program that I couldn't "see" my hd as a drive letter. Never done that before. Apparently it seems to be "unallocated" space. Guess I'll have to partition it. Looks like another format. I'll have to run this first.

Of course, your instructions, ARE assuming that my CD drive "is" detected, right. And if its not, like it has been, or at least things in it don't register, then this would not be the plan to use to get Windows installed. This is why I was hoping that you could tell me how to get to the Dos Prompt from a fresh boot. The last two times that I ran into trouble, whenever I managed to reinstall Windows, my CD drive that is disabled, becomes "re-enabled" -- this is why I was referring to the Dos program so that I can check it from there.

I know what your going to say -- well check it from the Bios right. Well since its a laptop, its a very limited Bios, so its hard to tell, but the words "boot from multibay" are there, so I guess that the CD drive is detected in the Bios, its just that any CD that I put in the CD drive is not "detected" while the CD drive is disabled.

The CD drive may have been disabled from the "create a vitual drive" program.

Do you know how to get to the Dos Prompt from a "Fresh Boot", without the use of a CD drive or a Bios that supports USB load on boot (it is a older Bios due to a previous model computer)?

Captain Kirk
USS Enterprise

Posted 2 years ago

JamesTKirk
JamesTKirk

raphoenix,
There is one MAJOR problem to your plan!!!
After using the "Killdisk" program, now my hd is not detected at all
It does not show up as a drive letter
My partition program does not "see" it, so I cannot create a partition table
And I can't "Fdisk" it because I can't get to the drive in the DOS Prompt
So when it says Killdisk, that's literally what it means
My hd is dead, killed, caput

Your plan just killed my hd
And you left out the part about how to "see" the hd
OR how to create a new parition table on it when it is not even detected!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I can't create a partition table on it, then I am in a WORSE situation that I was before you helped me
So your "boot" from the CD link is COMPLETElY useless without being able to install to the hd [not detected]!!

Captain Kirk
USS Enterprise

Posted 2 years ago

JamesTKirk
JamesTKirk

Dear raphoenix,
I couldn't figure it out. This is one of the worst predictaments that I have even been in before. It seemed like my progress was going BACKWARDS instead of forwards. I was in a bad place, between a rock and a hard spot. A most unfortunate situation. I got to thinking. Trying to solve this problem, I started to concentrate, and to sit there for minutes pondering. And then it came to me. I came to the conclusion that the 'Killdisk' command was Linux based, and so MAYBE that might effect the outcome. So, as a last ditch effort to fix this messy issue, I threw in the Linux Puppy to see "if" Linux would detect the hd. IT DID!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Windows computer language does not "see" Linux programs or language.
Everything Linux, under Windows, is "invisible"

PROBLEM: hd was not detected after using the "killdisk" program

SOLUTION: use Linux to solve the problem

**Can you use the same MBR for two different model computers; use the Dos Prompt OS?

Captain Kirk
USS Enterprise

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

DOS is an Operating System.

Unless you can find a way to Boot from the CD Rom, USB or Floppy Drive then you will NOT be able to load any operating system on the hard drive.

Sometimes you post that the CD Rom Boots.

Other times you post that the CDrom will NOT Boot.

I have no idea which of the above statements is true.

If the CDrom Boots and you have FULL copy of XP, follow this tutorial.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/.....xpnew1.htm

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

JamesTKirk
JamesTKirk

raphoenix,
Thanks for getting back to me!

"Sometimes you post that the CD Rom Boots."
Yes, I can see how this may have been confusing. Computer #1 has a functional CD Drive and I can link both computers together via USB external hd case.

"Other times you post that the CDrom will NOT Boot."
Computer #2 is the problem computer with the spec's given. It's CD Drive has been DISABLED

--I only have XP, Mint, Puppy, and Knoppex
--I don't have a desktop
--I have 2 laptops
--I have a external hd case with a USB cord
--I have a USB flashdrive with XP on it
--My 2 laptops have a Bios that does not support USB boot
--I do not have a floppy drive
--My CD drive has been disabled: I do not have a CD Drive

"Unless you can find a way to Boot from the CD Rom, USB or Floppy Drive then you will NOT be able to load any operating system on the hard drive."
What about if it is on the hd?

What I have done since I talked to you last:
I copied the ME "Startup Disk" on Computer #2's hd
When Computer #2 booted, I got a different message than the "A Disk Read Error Has Occurred": Black with a blinking cursor that hangs

Conclusion: The Partition is NTFS. Do you think if it [Partition] was FAT32 that that would make a difference for a ME program which has no NTFS support?

Captain Kirk
USS Enterprise

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Budget permitting $422.02
http://www.amazon.com/1225C-MU.....B007IFM5XK

Specs:
http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_PC...../#overview

CON:
The memory is fixed on the motherboard and there is no SO-DIMM on the motherboard. The On Board Memory is unable to be removed or replaced for extending. :( :(

Posted 2 years ago

JamesTKirk
JamesTKirk

Hello raphoenix,
Thanks for the reply.

Is it possible to install MS-DOS on a hd on a Dell model and then put that hd in a Compaq model; and then have the OS run?

In possiblilty 2, if I can figure out HOW to configure the Plop program so that it enables me to be able to boot from the USB even on a Bios that does not support USB boot, then I can fix my computer. I have the "DOS to USB" program, but need to configure the Plop program before I can use it.

Theory: if I was ABLE to "Ghost Image" a CD image and put that file onto the hd, then I could boot the cd from the hd.

You are an expert: have you heard anything about how to do this?

Captain Kirk

Posted 2 years ago

JamesTKirk
JamesTKirk

raphoenix,
How you doing?

You didn't reply to my last post, so here are the possible reasons:
1) You have not gotten around to it yet
2) You have no comment
3) You don't know anything about these things, or don't know how to do it

So lets try something else. Maybe you'll know this one.

**Note: My hd is formatted
QUESTION
If I had made a "Ghost Image" [a disk image of the hd when Windows was running on it, a "clone" copy] of the hd, and I copied this image file to my hd, would my computer be fixed and run?

You are an expert, so is this possible?

Captain Kirk

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.