The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Format HDD and reinstall

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by ronecc
  • Latest reply from warlock
  • Topic Viewed 525 times

ronecc

I have a Dell 3100 pc that belonged to a family member. 1GB RAM 75GB HDD, running XP. There is not a lot of files on the HD, but I want to clear it out and sell the system. There was no recovery disc with the computer, so I am in the process of making one on DVD. How do I then go about reinstalling XP from the disc. Do I first format the HD (which it will not let me do), Or just boot from the recovery disc. Will all the old files be on the recovery disc or just the XP operating system?
I know people have suggested installing Windows 7, but I only have a recovery disc made from my W7 Toshiba laptop. As I am selling the machine, which will not be worth much, I do not want to buy a new operating system.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

http://support.dell.com/suppor.....egacy=true Step three here should do what you want. If you don't want to save any data.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

ronecc

Hi Warlock. Thanks for that info'. I had tried F8 and F12. Did not know about ctrl+F11. It is now in the process of restoring to original settings.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@ronecc, Should be good since we didn't hear back from you after your last post. Didn't want to jinx you before it was done. Glad to have helped.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!