SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Forgotten HDD Password on my Samsung Netbook.

(103 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by tech27
  • Latest reply from GuiltySpark
  • Topic Viewed 28566 times

tech27
tech27

Netbook model: Samsung NP-N148-DP03PH
S/N: HJDA93AB800258F
BIOS: Phoenix SecureCore (tm) Setup Utility

So here's the problem, because I am so curious about this and I tried to put a 'HDD Password' on BIOS on my Netbook and now I mess everything I can't boot up and I am really mad at my self I'm such and idiot ;( because I created this problem and I can't use my netbook anymore. I really feel so hopeless, I tried everything like using a 'Live disk' etc, but still I can't boot because it will always ask for HDD password ;(

and when entering an Invalid password three times, this will come out, but when I restart the netbook(turning it off and on) it will again ask for the HDD password.

I really need help guys ;(

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Time to purchase a new hard drive.

Posted 2 years ago

Veegertx
Veegertx

Tech27
Look here http://dogber1.blogspot.com/20.....-bios.html

Posted 2 years ago

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried booting back into BIOS and removing the HDD password? Did you put a password on the HDD and now you can't remember it?

Posted 2 years ago

Veegertx
Veegertx

edit. no need windows running

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

My interpretation is that this is a HDD password, not a BIOS password. From quick reading I see nowhere that has any encouraging information about an HDD password.

Posted 2 years ago

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Edit. I responded to Veegertx as the OP. Removed.

Posted 2 years ago

Veegertx
Veegertx

I edit above cause I had found the bios update but win has to be running

I know but I was thinking it related to Bios cause I never set one. Is it set in Bios or the drive itself?
http://www.ehow.com/how_537698.....sword.html

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

What would be the point of a hard drive password if it could be removed easily. The point as I understand it is no matter what computer/BIOS you put the drive om it requires the password.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Probably have to put HDD in another machine using Adapter Cables and the Run Secure Erase 4 with "Hot Plugging Method to fix the HDD.

If you can Boot from USB stick, may could do it in the same machine.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

Veegertx
Veegertx

Yes that what I'm reading also whs but this got me into Bios
"put a 'HDD Password' on BIOS"
There is cmospwd but does Netbook have a cd/dvd in it or create boot usb and all that. used to do that on a floppy

EDIT: Or can he simply remove battery for 5 minutes to reset bios to default, er um I had to do that myself other day messing with uefi stuff on mine and wouldn't boot. :)

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

Have you tried emailing or calling Samsung and asking them for the password?
This might take a couple of days but it might be worth a try if the above secure erasing doesn't work

Posted 2 years ago

tech27
tech27

uhhmm. By the way, I just wanna ask if HDD password is save under the BIOS chip or what? Because this HDD password feature is set inside BIOS, will removing battery will also reset all password in BIOS especially this HDD Password?

Yeah I tried to go to Samsung Service Center and they say its excluded from their warranty conditions and they're asking 23.30 USD, its like 1000 Pesos in Philippines.

@raphoenix
"Secure Erase 4 with "Hot Plugging Method to fix the HDD."
-its that a program ?

Posted 2 years ago

tech27
tech27

@Veegertx
-Hello dude, I tried that link but no luck ;( it can only generate for '12 hexadecimal digits' and mine I got '18 digits' error code ;(

Posted 2 years ago

tech27
tech27

@Veegertx
-Yeah 'win has to be running' and that thing won't go because their's the HDD password that blocks everytime I boot up ;(

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

tech27,

See my FIRST Post in this topic.
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=15

Not Sure if Secure Erase 4 can reset your HDD or not but worth a try if all else fails.

Have to boot from USB Stick and run Secure Erase Program.

The program will fail.

While still running DOS, pull out the HDD, wait for 5-10 seconds and then connect HDD back up.

Run Secure Erase program again.

If you are lucky, the procedure will break the password and erase the HDD the second time you try.

The Real procedure is to Disconnect Power to HDD briefly and leave the Data lines connected, but you can't do that with a laptop machine.

That's why I say disconnecting the complete HDD may not work??

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

tech27
tech27

@raphoenix
-' using Adapter Cables', what is the netbook HDD connector ?? and IDE or SATA?

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I assume the netbook has some kind of Combined Sata Data and Power Connector which mates with HDD.

Have to see a picture or diagram of HDD connection to netbook motherboard.

The Procedure I explained is really for Big Machines and HDDs with Standard Sata Connections.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

You could start down this route.

http://hddguru.com/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

Veegertx
Veegertx

Closest thing I could find http://www.samsung.com/ph/supp.....-downloads
If you set a password for a hard disk drive, it cannot be accessed from another computer.

You have to set a supervisor password first so whats the password to HD?

Remove the cmos battery and let it sit for 5 minutes to see if that will get you through otherwise You could buy a new bios chip for it and they not too high priced.

or you can use it for a boat anchor :)

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!