• Latest reply from vistual
  • Topic Viewed 1002 times

warlock

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

A scandal !

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

Your right. I remember buying the 8 track tape of it. Went right in the trash:)

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyg5l9ZPFag

Posted 1 year ago

whs

That's pretty trashy too. Compare that to the real thing http://www.youtube.com/watch?f.....VJD3dL4diY

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

whs. They are actually classical musicians (and also do a lot of session work). Some of the best musos ever. They set up that band to have some fun.

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey

As somebody who plays the Viola da Gamba and is very involved in the repertoire, I am delighted to see there ae some people here who love this music. Lady Fitzgerald mentioned the Baryton - and I have a friend near me here in New York who owns two of them and often plays them professionally in concerts.

Earlier this week I attended a three-hour workshop for viols where we played some madrigals by Gesualdo.

Recently, I discovered an internet radio station which streams what is commonly referred to as "Early Music" and might be a source of interest to others.

Ancient FM

http://www.ancientfm.com/

It will give you the option to choose your method of streaming - WMP, iTunes, etc - which will open in a separate window so you can continue your other PC activities. The main window also has a "Playlist" option, which open a small window, providing information on the piece being played, as well as the performers - in case you want to find more by that particular composer or group.

It's completely free - although there is a "Donate" link on the main page - however they never interrupt the music to ask for donations.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

The Viola Da Gamba is another one of my favorite early instruments.

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey

LadyF -

I fell in love with Early Music back in the late eighties and began attending many concerts here in NY City.

I had the chance to see the well-known Jordi Savall in concert on a number of occasions, and after seeing him play a recital on one particular evening, I was struck with the irresistible urge to try and see if I could learn to play it, on some level.

Having the advantage of a musical background, I reached out to a few people here, who pointed me in the right direction and - with the help of some wonderful friends - I was able to pick up the viol. That was about twelve years ago and it has opened up a whole new world of repertoire and performance practice - not to mention all the wonderful people I've met along the way.

I own a bass and treble viol - (the treble from a maker in he U.K. for those here who may be interested) and play almost every week - often in a mixed ensemble of viols and recorders; although I do love playing viol consort music.

And finally - in deference to the Lady's part-Irish heritage - I also play the Highland Bagpipes.

Try out Ancient FM and see how you like it.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

I prefer the uilleann pipes however I do remember being blown away in Tucson several years ago at the Highland Games down there when around 40-50 Highland pipers took the field at sunset and started playing IN PERFECT TUNE! As if my flabber wasn't already gasted by the spectacular sunset andthem being all in tune, they then broke out in three part harmony. That was an experience I'll never forget, no matter how senile I get. I still cherish my list of bagpipe jokes.

My favorite periods of music are Baroque followed by Renaissance. I get miffed when the local classical music station (and the NPR feed) refer to Baroque as primitive music. Old, yes. Primitive? Not hardly. I'll check out Ancient FM later.

Posted 1 year ago

vistual

this reminded me of this thread. so just sharing in case any interested in something similar.

"... Over 14 hours of Bach ...."
Big Handel Box

over 300 titles! 99 cents!
Album Savings: $287.10 compared to buying all songs

edit: just fyi - its 1.47 GB worth

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.