How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

For our geeks with Firefox...bug.gd

(13 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Scott
  • Latest reply from BobJam
  • Topic Viewed 818 times

Scott

This has potential, from the author,
"Search the world's database of error solutions and the web simultaneously. Later, provide your solutions to help the next poor soul.
The goal: No human should work on an error that has already been solved."

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6138

I've installed this and will give it a whirl.

Posted 5 years ago

JonMCC33

Good concept! ^_^

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Nice find Scott. I'm giving it a go. (even tho it did lock up my FF after install, restart!)

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam

Hey Scott,

I installed it and then did a "test" error (the text paste of a URLfor a recently visited site), and now it says in the status bar "1 unsolved" . . . which was fine and what I wanted to test. But now I want to delete that error, which as I just said IS NOT REALLY AN ERROR.

I went to "View my bugs" by right clicking and selecting that from the bug.gd menu. There, as I expected, was my "test" error listed as an "Unsolved errors", and there was also a "Delete this error" button.

BUT, when I pressed it all I kept getting was a "404 page not found" notice, and I CAN'T delete that "test" error.

I even tried uninstalling the bug.gd add on and then reinstalling it, but it STILL shows that "1 unsolved" in the status bar (I guess it's now in my preferences file).

So how do I get rid of this bothersome "error"?

BTW, I also tried to enter it as "Solved" by typing in a "This was just a test" in the solution box and "Submitted" it as a "solution", but still no joy. I've just sent an email to the author asking the same question.

Pending the author's reply I may try manually removing the add on and then reinstalling and see if that does it.

Posted 5 years ago

Scott

Hey Bob,

After a few days of staring at a list of unresolved bugs, your post prompted me to look in about:config. I typed in 'bug', changed the buggd.debug value to true and changed the buggd.emailAddress to one of my own from anon1234... I also changed the defaultPollInterval to 100 hoping that one of those fixes would work. One did, the error number in the search bar is reset.

Ironic that this extension may be buggy but I'll stick with it for now.

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam

Scott,

Thanks, BUT I did all you tried and still no joy. There's a buggd.lastReminder entry and it's an integer set to "0". There's also a buggd.reminderOnLoad value that's set to "true", and I messed with those but still no joy.

Buggy indeed.

Posted 5 years ago

Scott

Did you restart the browser?

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam

Yes, repeatedly. In fact, after each iteration and combination and sequence of about:config changes. I'm assuming there's a much simpler solution to this than trying to alter through about:config and that the author will communicate it to me.

Did you try that "View my bugs" and "Delete this error" button?

Put in a test error and see if you can get rid of it. Will be interested to see if you have to go through your about:config iterations again or get that "404" notice that I did.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

The little problem I had above, I had to reboot the system to get the browser working properly! (Something stuck in memory no doubt).

Posted 5 years ago

JadeEmperor

@BobJam

i'd recommend, but too late i guess, to do tests like this in another profile. that way your regular profile is safe.

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam

I have gotten a reply from the bug.dg author. They deleted my "test error" on their end, so now my "unsolved errors" listing is back to zero. Very impressive quick response, especially considering I've asked other authors of add ons for support and gotten NO response. That quick response has encouraged me to stay with it, HOWEVER, this is not a solution. I mean, I can't be asking them to delete my errors on their server all the time.

Indeed, that delete button on the "View my bugs" page is supposed to work and not give the "404" message, and probably does on most installations.

The bug.gd guy is trying to troubleshoot my issue, and NoScript and my MVPS host file and the "CustomizeGoogle" add on are suspects.

Hey Jade Emporer,

I've always had this other profile stuff in the back of my mind as a sort of "test" pad for new add ons. I vaguely remember reading about creating another profile in the Mozilla KB, and something about a "Profile Manager" and how to use it, but I've never bothered to try it. So, can you give me a "quick and dirty" lesson on how this would work for what I want to do? And I'll likely read up on it at the Mozilla KB.

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam

Problem solved . . . it was NoScript. I simply put http://bug.gd in my NoScript whitelist and everything worked fine.

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam

Hey JadeEmporer,

I did indeed make a "test" profile that's "clean" and has absolutely NO extensions. In fact, that's how I discovered there was a conflict with NoScript.

The "clean test" profile worked perfectly with bug.gd, so it meant that there was some conflict in my regular profile with all the extensions. I thought then I was going to have to tediously disable each add on to find out which one it was. But I disabled NoScript first, since it was the most likely suspect, and lo and behold bug.gd worked (with deleting).

So now I have a "clean test" profile, which I may use in the future for troubleshooting these kinds of things.

Thanks for the tip. Glad I followed up on it.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.