How-To Geek Forums / Tutorials

FolderMarker Home and IcoFX to turn all folders to glass foldericons

(16 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by SarahJames
  • Latest reply from SarahJames
  • Topic Viewed 5763 times

SarahJames
SarahJames

1) Today (19 june 2009) GiveAway of the Day gives away a free copy of FolderMarker Home 3.0.1.
If you're fast, you can still download it here.

Just install and register. That's all there is to it.
You can use it immediately.

But ...
The icons it uses are the default Vista icons, just in different colours.
Like this:

You can also see that in the screenshots ArcticLine Software provides itself on their website:

And some of you have been following my other tutorial about replacing the 'normal' Vista foldericons with green glass icons - and you might want to be able to use those icons.

There are two ways to go about this.

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

First is the easiest.

After installation, when you rightclick a folder you find 'Mark Folder' in your rightclickmenu and it has a submenu.
In the subemenu you find the default folders in a variety of colours and on the bottom there is the option 'More icons'. Like this:

When you click 'more icons' you get this:

And then choose the tab 'User's icons'.

There you can use the "add" button to browse to your own files and add those and then you can use them in two easy steps.
Two - because you always need to go to 'more icons' before you can choose your icon.

But we want more don't we?

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Second one is for those who know how to view hidden files and find cache folders. Not much more needed ;)

Oh, and you might want to make your own icons and iconlibraries IcoFX.

But if you want to test this out, I'll give you the icl I made (rather hastily LOL) and you can edit that or replace it with one of your own choice.You find it here. It's the file named 'colors'. DeviantArt and VistaIcons are sites full of beautiful icons to name but a few good sites, so you can make your own icl and use that.

When you make your own icons you have to include images of the size 256x256 48x48 32x32 16x16 AND!!! 13x13.
Otherwise the little icons in your rightclickmenu won't look good or even won't show up.

A tutorial on how to create icl files with IcoFX is here.

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Ok, so you have a icl file of your choice that contains exactly the same amount of icons as the colors.icl does that comes with FolderMarker (36 icons that is).

Now you browse to the location where FolderMarker is installed. (Probably C:\Program Files\FolderMarker)
Make a backup copy of the entire folder on another drive, just in case ;)

Inside the folder you find a subfolder called 'icl' which contains icl files (hey, we didn't expect that did we? LOL). One is colors.icl
Replace that with the one you have made or downloaded. Do NOT leave the old version inside the folder with another name or so.

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Now for the new icl file to be effective you have to clear the cache FolderMarker makes.
The easiest way is to replace it's cache file with a copy of your new colors.icl

The cache file is located at :

C:\Users\*Username*\AppData\Roaming\ArcticLine\Folder Marker\icl

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

If FolderMarker doens't show your icons the way it is supposed to, this is also the location where you can delete faulty files, so FolderMarker will rebuild a new cache.
But ... when you do that all references to icons located in there will be lost. So folders you have changed the icon for will be reset to the default icon.
Therefor it is better to replace the icl file(s) located there, when you need to.

When done also run Disc Cleanup and set it to clean 'thumbnails' (in Dutch 'Miniatuurweergaven').

If that's not enough for it to catch on, you can also restart.

But then you should have what you want!

If you look closely you can see your folders have a slightly different preview now:

And this time when you choose Dark > Red you get this:

Now that looks a lot better doesn't it???

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Now for anyone brave enough to create more icl files right now: you can do the same for 'Main.icl' and then you can have custom icons showing up under 'Work'.

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

sara, this is very good. thanks...

Posted 5 years ago

baldeguy56
baldeguy56

Really cool stuff! Have downloaded FolderMarker Home 3.0.1 & put this thread into favorites to come back to when I get my Vista rig back from repairs. Thanks SaraJames...Garry

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

But I'm not done yet ;)

When you get it from GAOTD it is fully registered.
However when you go to 'More Icons' and the tab 'Everyday' you'll see a red textline saying this is not the full version blabla. That is just saying it is not the biggest form of icl file they supply.
They want you to buy more of their icons. (Logically)
But you can delete that icl file (Everyday.icl) or replace it with another and the tab disappears and with it voila the text is gone ;)
Keep in mind when you replace Main.icl or Colors.icl you have to use an icl with the same amount or more icons in it, otherwise the program get's very confused ;)
If you have no use for ABC you can delete that icl and the tab will disappear.
(Don't forget to clear it from the cache too then!)
In the same way you can add as many icl files as you like.
They will show up as added tabs.

Never delete or rename Main.icl or Colors.icl though! That will make the app crash. It needs those files for it's appearance in the rightclickmenu.

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

I think I'm done now <LOL>.

Enjoy!
Sarah.

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

LOL - I see now you already posted in between!

Thanks guys;)

Posted 5 years ago

Moonlight

Hi ~ I'm new here, and I've been reading all these wonderful tutorials. This particular one is 6 months old and pertains to Vista. My question is, will this work in Windows 7, as that's what I have now. Thank you.

Gail

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Hi Gail,

Welcome to HTG!
I'll have a look, but I take it Folder Marker will work in 7 too. I don't know how limited the free version is though, but I'll give it a try for you:)

Edit: I've taken a look. The website doesn't give any info on which OS you can use it, but I think it will work on 7 just as it does on Vista.

I downloaded the free version and though it is more limited then the Home version, it still does all it needs to do ;)
If you want to get those nice glass folders, just download the sets I've posted or create your own with IcoFX.
You'll have to add them to the icl folder where Folder Marker is installed.

Btw Folder Marker has a good tutorial on it's website: http://www.foldermarker.com/help/index.html

Posted 4 years ago

Moonlight

Hi Sarah ~ Thank you for the response. I'll post a new topic for this question. I hope I do it in the right place.

Gail

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Perfect!
I already started adding things here, but we'll keep it nice and tidy and I'll close this one and we'll put the info concerning 7 in a new topic :)

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.