The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Folder icons sync - anyone any ideas

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by feinui
  • Latest reply from feinui
  • Topic Viewed 351 times

feinui

Hi, I am copying data from one computer to another. But the customized folder icon settings are not transferred. I customized the icons in the original computer using the software IconFolder and checked the option to make the icons "exportable". The icons export OK only if I use a memory stick. But it will not export either through Dropbox or a computer-to-computer cable (there is too much data to transfer on a USB). I tried copying desktop.ini to folders in the new computer (as Sarah had suggested in a previous post) but it did not work. Anyway, there are almost 50-60 folders which makes manual copying not viable. Anyone has any ideas?

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Ok, just making sure - the icon has transferred just as the desktop.ini file?
If so, it might be something as simple as having to refresh your iconcache.

First delete: C:\Users\*UserName*\AppData\Local\IconCache.db
Secondly run diskcleanup and make sure 'Thumbnails' is ticked.
Then reboot.

If that doesn't work it might be some quirck I found in Windows that if the the date or time of the folder that contains the desktop.ini changes, the ini file doesn't work. But since it does work on USB that shouldn't be the problem ...

Posted 1 year ago

feinui

Thanks Sarah for getting back so quickly. I have done all that, as you suggested in your previous post. I even wrote to Dropbox. It appears that desktop.ini files are NOT routinely copied or updated when Dropbox updates data. The same with computer transfers using cables. They transfer everything but the configuration files. With the USB, they copy everything. I had hoped that the software Folder Marker would do the trick since the icon is filed in the folder itself. I also wrote to them but never got a reply. Does anyone else have this problem or am I the only spending so much time on customizing icons?

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

<LOL> Noooooo, you are not the only one, I'm just as bad!
Unfortunately FolderMarker can't help you with that.
However, since you made the icons exportable, have a look what the desktop.ini file says.
It probably refers to the icon by

[.ShellClassInfo]
IconFile=FolderMarker.ico
IconIndex=0

so you could just copy one desktop.ini file and paste it in all the folders that already have the ico file. (would mean hitting ctrl+v a lot of times and provided the hidden icons díd get transferred)

If that doesn't help, we'd have to look at the software that copies things through computer-to-computer cables.
I have no experience with those, so I'm just shooting suggestions ...
Could you use for instance Freecommander to access them?
It gives you a nice side by side view of two folders and also displays hidden files.

Or you could try Cobian backup which is the only backup program I've come across so far that does copy ini files and the likes. It would be a hassle to set up the task within Cobian, but after you've done that Cobian would do the rest on it's own.

Edit: for adding the desktop.ini file by ctrl+v Freecommander would also be a good help. Makes navigating a lot easier.

Posted 1 year ago

feinui

Thanks. I use Cobian but I never knew it copied ini files. Will let you know how it goes.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.