The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

folder hidden attribute greyed out

(21 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by agacult
  • Latest reply from learner
  • Topic Viewed 169586 times

agacult

HELP! My externel hard drive got infected with a virus and now all my files/folders have their hidden attributes greyed out. I have to select the "show hidden files and folders" just to see them, is there any way around this?

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Easiest is to reset to a recovery point from before the infection. If it really was a virus, these are probably not your only troubles.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

Try this:
1. Click Start.
2. In the search box type command prompt and press enter.
3. Type the following commands and press enter after each (Note: Assumes your external drive is H:\ and the folder that is hidden is named "My Folder"):

cd H:\
attrib -H -S "My Folder" /D
Posted 6 years ago

agacult

Thanks alot for the tip jd2066.

Posted 6 years ago

eddn

I had the same thing happened to me traced it down to Norton System works. Nortons helped me fix the know problem.

Posted 6 years ago

agacult

Following the tip from jd2066 I did the following(Asuming "My Folder" is the hidden folder & "Their Folder" is the sub folder,which is also hidden with every file/folder in it!) H:\>attrib -H -S "My Folder"\"Their Folder"\*.* /S & I managed to retrieve "My Folder" and the files in the sub folder "Their Folder", however the sub folder's hidden attribute is still greyed out, is there a way I can fix the sub folder also?

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

Try doing: attrib -H -S "My Folder\Their Folder" /S

Posted 6 years ago

agacult

Hi there and thanks for all your tips, especially jd2066 but I seemed to have hit a brick wall as when I type: (attrib -H -S "My Folder\Their Folder" /S)the cmd prompt gives: (File not found - My folder\Their Folder.) The virus that has stared my problem is called W32.SillyFDC and I use Norton 360 Version 2 antivirus, which is always up to date.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

Did you do the "cd H:\" (Assuming the drive is H:\) first?

Posted 6 years ago

agacult

Yes I am in the H drive, it looks something like this H:\>attrib -H -S "My Folder\Their Folder /S and when I press enter the cmd gives the above mentioned response. To get into my H drive I do the following from the cmd, C:\Users\agacult>H:
H:\>

when I include "cd" it goes
C:\Users\agacult>cd H:
H:\
C:\Users\agacult>
it gets back to C drive, I don't know why. I'm using vista business on my machine

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

Oh, sorry about that. I forgot the command is different for switching drives then folders.
Just type "H:" instead of "cd H:\" for the command.

Posted 6 years ago

agacult

It's still giving me the "file not found - My Folder\Their Folder". I first got around this problem by following your first tip but I added [\*.*] before the , it looked something like this H:\>attrib -H -S "My Folder\Their Folder"\*.* /S, [\*.*] to clear whatever I want to clear from the folder and it's subfolders & everthing in the in it. But it's not working for the sub folder.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

So the files in that sub folder are still hidden? Or is it the folder itself that is still hidden?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

maybe /d switch needed

Posted 6 years ago

agacult

The files in the subfolder are ok its the the subfolder that I can't get the hidden attribute working

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

Try the command: attrib -H -S "My Folder" /S /D
That should work for the sub folders too.

Posted 6 years ago

agacult

Thanks alot jd2066 it worked like a charm, I also found that to remove the hidden attribute from everything in the infected hdd/fdd is to go H:\>attrib -H -S \*.* /S /D assuming H is my external hdd,thanks again.

Posted 6 years ago

JJF

This was very helpful, but when one have a lot of folders to change back this way, it takes a lot of time!

Is there not a simple program available with which this can be done?

Posted 6 years ago

learner

Hello there!

I just read the bogs Q & A's and as I am going through a similar problem, wanted to request a little more input....

The infected(hidden by W32.SillyFDC virus) files are on my hard drive and it was full to capacity (approx. 80GB).... right now I tried doing the attrib func thru command line but it give a message that it cannot change a system file! please advice, whether '-s' switch is for the same. I have used the following command line function:

e:\>attrib *.* -r -h /s/d

looking forward to your help and support

regards,
learner

Reports: 1 · Posted 5 years ago

LH

learner. Welcome to the forum. Please could you start a "New Topic" with your problem.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.