How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Fn key replaced by Ctrl

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by hatryst
  • Latest reply from hatryst
  • Topic Viewed 512 times

hatryst
hatryst

Hi guys. On my laptop HP ProBook 4530s, I've suddenly noticed that the Fn key isn't working anymore, and so is the Ctrl key. Upon a little experimentation, I realized that the Ctrl key is now mapped to the Fn key, and pressing the Fn key makes the computer think that Ctrl is being pressed. The right ctrl is okay, but it's the left one that's causing problem. I tried mapping the keys using Sharpkeys but it doesn't even recognize pressing of the Ctrl key, and pressing the Fn key shows that it's the Ctrl key. And it's not just in Windows, I booted into OS X (yes it's on my ProBook), and it's the same story. Pressing the Fn key makes it think that it is the Ctrl key. What on earth is going on?!

Posted 1 year ago

Drizzle
Drizzle

Funny(Odd)!!! see this answer.. says there is a swap that makes fn think it is ctrl and ctrl that it is fn

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Th.....a-p/237588
"Also there is a Fn -> Cntrl swap that will make the Fn key Ctrl and the Ctrl key Fn"

Posted 1 year ago

hatryst
hatryst

That's particularly for Lenovo's BIOS but i'll check in my BIOS as well. Thanks, will post back the results :)

Posted 1 year ago

hatryst
hatryst

When in doubt, pull out the battery, wait 30 seconds, reinsert the battery, voila. It's working now.

No wonder why such silly problems arise :D

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!