The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) ~ Flash Player Doesn't Work

(21 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Lightchick
  • Latest reply from Smmmmokin
  • Topic Viewed 33476 times

lhendri479

I have the same problem, except I am running Windows XP with all the updates on SP.

I just CANNOT get Flash to work. Adobe says it is installed, but it sure is NOT working. I have verified that it is the newest version 10.

Yes, I too have done all the steps they have suggested. What am I missing here? I don't get it.

Linda In NC

Posted 5 years ago

Spacegold

I am watching this thread carefully because I, too, am without Flash. When I tried to download v10 the first time, it told me to uninstall the previous version, which I did. Then I tried again, and the little green bar indicating download in progress pootled along for about two hours and went dead. After two or three more tries that never got to the install wizard, I gave up. I sent off a message to Adobe, and got back useless information. Hope somebody here has some ideas.

Posted 5 years ago

Mike

are you guys disabling your anti-virus programs and firewall? it has worked for some. and you have to get all versions of adobe deleted by using their uninstaller. forgot the link but i sure someone will post it. or go to adobe.com you can get it from there. hope this helps.
mike

Posted 5 years ago

lvct

Adobe flash player uninstaller.
http://download.macromedia.com.....player.exe

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Using the Adobe flash UNinstaller is a good procedure to try. Get it from the following page if the direct link gets nuked:
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservic.....d=tn_14157

If that doesn't do the trick, it's possible that there is a problem with IE or a conflict with another add-on. Try removing or disabling other add-ons or full reset as described in this article by The Geek:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....ng-slowly/

Posted 5 years ago

Lightchick

Thanks for the ideas thus far...what else can I try? I've uninstalled via various methods before, and just tried the links you suggested... Didn't help.

Ran IE without add-ons as the article suggested. Downloaded, and then installed Flash player with this version of IE (no add-ons), and didn't work. Tried opening the usual version of IE after downloading/installing in add-on free mode, and got the same result (websites telling me to download the latest version of Flash Player).

So, I'm still at a loss..

Posted 5 years ago

Lightchick

SOME BRILLIANT PERSON ON THE ADOBE FORUM (this was their one-and-only post!) had the answer! I found it in a random new thread and it worked instantaeously! Quoting their text:

"mine kept popping up a message that it could not find macromedia flashpalyer....every few minutes....
i found the following on the web, and did this:
I went to C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash and copied "Flash9.ocx" and then pasted it back in the same directory. This created "Copy of Flash9.ocx" which I then renamed to "Flash.ocx." (Thus I had "Flash.ocx" and "Flash9.ocx", both the same file with a different name in the same directory.)
the actual flash name may be slightly different for example, it could be Flash9a.ocx, but just copy whatever you have there, and rename it to flash.ocx and keep it in the same file. hope it works...
note: you are not deleting anything, you are just adding a copy of a good file that has a new name....
it worked for me.
ArgelD "

THANK YOU ARGE1D!!!

Thought I'd share...

Thanks for your help! I'm glad to have found this forum!

--Christina

Posted 5 years ago

Lightchick

Please note that I did the above with Flash 10, so it seems to not be version-specific..

Posted 5 years ago

Spacegold

Posted 5 years ago

Spacegold

I still can't view a You-Tube clip.

Posted 5 years ago

Spacegold

Will someone please take a look at this and let me know if anything is missing from the Flashplayer folder pictured above. Flash does not work and I cannot figure out why.

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames

I had the same problem a while back. I completely uninstalled the flashplayer using Revo Uninstaller, restarted and reinstalled (as far as I can remember at least LOL). Worked for me.

Cheers,
Sarah.

Posted 5 years ago

Spacegold

Thanks, Sarah. I have Revo, so I'll give it a try. The only version of Flash that is currently in the directory is v10, But maybe Revo can fix whatever is wrong. For some silly reason, Adobe has geared the download so that you have to run that utility to get an update before it will run in Vista, according to their support page. Idid that, and it still doesn't work. I will report back after I run Revo.

Posted 5 years ago

Spacegold

Oh, how embarrassing! I dislike some of the distracting, animated ads that Flashplayer lets in, so I got a little utility with which I can toggle Flash on to view a clip, and off the rest of the time. I keep its icon in the quicklaunch bar. About two weeks ago I did a system restore and wouldn't you guess, it wiped out the icon. At that point Altzheimers set in. and it was not until I was viewing all the options in Revo that I saw the utility and realized why Flash was not working for me. Too many toys...... >)

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames

@ Spacegold - ohh the multiple uses of Revo! LOL
Glad you found it:)

Best wishes,
Sarah.

ps. your avatar - what kind of coin is that? Looks Greek or Roman ...

Posted 5 years ago

Spacegold

Sarah, the avatar is a U.S. collector coin minted in 2004. I think it is one ounce and called a double eagle. If you would like to view the full size photo, let me know in off-topic and I will upload it to photobucket for you. The striding liberty form on the obverse is very similar to the old Saint-Gaudens $20 gold piece which was last minted in 1933. Saint-Gaudens, at Theodore Roosevelt's request, designed the obverse to have a Greek flair to honor that nation's contributions to the infancy of democracy.

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames

Thanks, Spacegold. So there's a whole story behind it! LOL
Was just getting curious:)

Posted 5 years ago

Spacegold

I think it is a truly beautiful coin. A bit pricey nowadays with gold as high as it is.

I like your little penquin, too.

Posted 5 years ago

Smmmmokin

Just want to say THANKS, Revo works!!! I've been w/o Flash working properly for weeks!! Great to have it working again!!!

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.