How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Flash is slowing down my new computer?!

(12 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Eek
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 13690 times

Eek
Eek

I am running Windows 32-bit vista, on an Acer laptop. The laptop is less than a year old. It runs on a AMD Turion 64 x2 Mobile Technology processor.
I have 2gb DDR memory.
and run a 512MB NVIDIA Geforce 8400M G TurboCache graphic card.

I was running flash videos and animations just fine a month or so ago. Now all of a sudden my computer has the hardest time running flash. One minute it is running it smoothly, the next the flash video or animation is all skittery and jumpy (even though the flash is fully loaded).
Not only is flash slowing down my computer, but i have recently noticed that when I play video files on my computer, they slow down as well. If I have another window open or have iTunes open (not playing any music) the video starts behaving as if it were in slow-mo!

I have no idea what is happening as the rest of my computer is running just fine.

PS: I have used both SpyBot and Avast antivirus to scan my computer over and over..and it has not helped.
Thanks for your help!

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Have you updated your graphics driver recently?

Posted 6 years ago

Eek
Eek

windows says that my graphics driver is up to date after doing an online software search.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

One reason could be that over the year your system got stuffed with junk. I would run CCleaner once (both system and registry). It may (or may not) help. But it cannot hurt.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I was going to suggest, that if you have recently updated it, then roll it back to the last one and see if the problem persists.

Posted 6 years ago

Eek
Eek

@Lighthouse,

I dont ever remember updating my driver. Plus there doesn't seem to be a rollback button? Maybe because the latest driver is the only one? I am not sure?

@ whs,

is CCleaner free? I tried used the registry cleaner that HowtoGeek.com showed on its main page, but it wouldn't work on my computer for some strange reason. It wouldn't run. Is CCleaner similar?

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

CCleaner is free and safe. I have used it many times without any problems. Get it from here http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Posted 6 years ago

Eek
Eek

@whs

I used CCLeaner! Great tool thanks. Problem is that it barely helped. I notice only a slight difference in performance. Things are still going an as they always have. Do i have to defrag my computer?

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

You may want to do a manual defrag of your system and make sure your pc is set to do automatic defrags. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....ce-pack-1/

Posted 6 years ago

Eek
Eek

Ok I just did a check, and I was streaming a tv show online from surfthechannel.com; the stream (while fully loaded) started being skittery and choppy and the video was very jumpy. I opened up the task manager and saw that the stream on while using firefox was using at minimum 89% of my CPU! How in the world could that possibly be happening?! no other windows are open or heavy duty programs are open. When firefox is streaming a video, it is using 77Kb's! jeez...do you think defragging my computer with this issue?

thanks for all your help guys!

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Steaming video can be so annoying. I gave up trying.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Maybe you could watch what happens using Process Explorer. Here is what I recommended on another thread:
http://technet.microsoft.com/e.....96653.aspx -- If you spread the Process Explorer window only over half the screen and pin it down with DeskPins, you may see what happens http://www.snapfiles.com/get/deskpins.html

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!